Undergraduate and graduate students must be able to recognize hazards, assess risks, minimize risks, and prepare for proper execution of potentially hazardous processes.
This set of guidelines supports institutions, from two-year college programs into graduate programs. They were developed with college and graduate students in mind, using the RAMP framework for scientific safety.
- Learning Objectives for College Students
- Guidelines for Chemical Laboratory Safety in Academic Institutions [PDF]
Downloadable version of laboratory safety guidelines for college labs.
- Recognize the Hazards
- Recognize the Hazards (Advanced)
- Chemical Hazards
- Physical Hazards
- Health Hazards
- Reaction Hazards
- Assess the Risks of the Hazards
- Minimize the Risks of the Hazards
- Minimize the Risks of the Hazards (Advanced)
- Laboratory Equipment
- Prepare for Emergencies from Uncontrolled Hazards
- Recommended Safety Equipment
- Emergency Response
- Special Considerations
- Hazard and Risk Analysis
- Terms for College & University Lab
- Graduate School and Continuing Safety Education