No matter how small or large your community, you will find suggestions for hosting a hands-on science event. Find information on planning, fundraising, promoting events, and more.
Organizing a Successful Hands-on Science Event
Before Your Event
- Recruit and adequately train your volunteers.
- Request permission from potential venues (local school, library, museum, etc.) to host an event.
- Learn about event insurance coverage and request a certificate of insurance from ACS.
- Review the safety guidelines for the event location and choice of activities.
- Obtain photo release forms from partnering schools and other youth groups.
- Share this customizable fact sheet with potential sponsors and partnering organizations.
- Already planned your event? Promote your event with us! Request to cohost your event with our CCEW Facebook page to add your event to our calendar.
During Your Event
- Disseminate CCEW-themed merchandise and hard copies of Celebrating Chemistry to attendees. These products can be purchased through the ACS Store.
- Distribute surveys for attendees to complete to measure public impact and awareness.
- Don’t forget to thank volunteers for pitching in their time and resources for ensuring that your CCEW event is a success.
Following Your Event
- Share the success of your event through local section newsletters, print, and social media, using the hashtags: #CCEW #ChemistsCelebrateEarthWeek #EarthDay2020 #GreatGlobalCleanUp #GreenChemistry
- Share your photos on the CCEW Facebook page.
- Send certificates of appreciation to volunteers.
- Your local section or division can compete for a ChemLuminary Award!