Illustrated Poem Contest
How to Enter
All illustrated poems must first be judged at the local level in order to be considered for the national contest. Local coordinators should carry out contests and judge the entries within their local sections. These local first-place winners can then advance to the national contest. Please contact your local section NCW Coordinator for local contest deadlines and submission information. A sample flyer and entry form is provided for local promotion.
As part of National Chemistry Week (NCW) each year, ACS sponsors an illustrated poem contest for K-12 students. Participating ACS local sections invite area students to compete.
Local winners advance to the national contest for a chance to win cash prizes. ACS will award $300 to first-place and $150 to second-place national contest winners in each of the four grade categories!
- All poems must be no more than 40 words, and in one of the following styles to be considered: Haiku, Limerick, Ode, ABC poem, Free verse, End rhyme, Blank verse.
- Entries are judged based upon relevance to and incorporation of the NCW theme, word choice and imagery, colorful artwork, adherence to poem style, originality and creativity, and overall presentation.
- All entries must be original works without aid from others. Each poem must be illustrated on an unlined sheet of paper (of any type) not larger than 11” x 14”. The illustration must be created by hand using crayons, watercolors, other types of paint, colored pencils, or markers. The text of the poem should be easy to read and may be printed with a computer, before the hand-drawn illustration is added, or the poem may be written on lined paper which is cut out and pasted onto the unlined paper with the illustration.
- Only one entry per student will be accepted; all entries must include an entry form.
- All illustrated poems and/or digital representations of the poems become the property of the American Chemical Society.
- Acceptance of prizes constitutes consent to use winners’ names, likenesses, and entries for editorial, advertising, and publicity purposes.