Organize a National Chemistry Week Event
No matter how small or large your community, you will find suggestions that will fit with your targeted audience. Find information on fundraising, promoting your events, and more.
Ideas for NCW Events
- Experiment at home with hands-on activities from Celebrating Chemistry in English or en Español.
- With your ACS Local Section, promote and carry out a NCW Illustrated Poem Contest for Kindergarten through 12th-grade students.
- Participate in the NCW Community Event.
- Speak to members of a local club, school, or other organization and explain how chemistry relates to your career.
- Arrange seminars and workshops to engage employees of local industries in discussions about the role chemistry plays in their profession. If you work for a chemical company, read about ways your company can participate in NCW.
Tips and Timeline for Organizing a Successful NCW Event
Before Your Event
- Download and utilize the NCW 2016 PowerPoint, which has information and fun facts about the connection between chemistry and solving mysteries!
- Recruit and adequately train your volunteers.
- Request permission from potential venues (local school, library, museum, etc.) to host an event.
- Learn about event insurance coverage and request a certificate of insurance from ACS.
- Obtain photo release forms from partnering schools and other youth groups.
- In this helpful fundraising guide, find ideas for funding sources, sample fundraising letters, acknowledgement letters, and more.
- Share this customizable NCW 2016 Fact Sheet with potential sponsors and partnering organizations.
- Review ACS’s PR Guidebook for more ideas and suggestions about ways to promote NCW and all other programs, services and events.
During Your Event
- Disseminate NCW-themed merchandise and hard copies of Celebrating Chemistry to attendees. These products can be purchased through the ACS Store.
- Distribute surveys (available in English and en Español) for attendees to complete to measure public impact and awareness. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for a unique electronic survey link.
- Don’t forget to thank volunteers for pitching in their time and resources for ensuring that your NCW event is a success.
Following Your Event
- Share the success of your event through local section newsletters, print, and social media (Facebook and ACS Network).
- You may also send certificates of participation to attendees.
- Your local section or division can compete for a ChemLuminary Award! These ChemLuminary rubrics outline how relevant Chemluminary Award nominations are evaluated.
Promote Your Event!
The following are ways to generate excitement among your volunteer base and engage large numbers of your community!
- Reach out to ChemClubs, Student Chapters, and local businesses to participate in or sponsor your event(s).
- Use social media to post events on your website.
- List your event through the ACS Event Locator.
- Incorporate NCW graphics into your promotional materials
- Publicize your event with local schools, universities, and other local press.