Organize an NCW Event
No matter how small or large your community, you will find suggestions that will fit with your targeted audience. Find information on fundraising, promoting your events, and more.
Ideas for NCW Events
- Experiment at home with hands-on activities from Celebrating Chemistry.
- With your ACS local section, promote and carry out a NCW Illustrated Poem Contest for K-12 students.
- Participate in the NCW Community Event.
- Speak to members of a local club, school, or other organization and explain how chemistry relates to your career.
- Arrange seminars and workshops to engage employees of local industries in discussions about the role chemistry plays in their profession. If you work for a chemical company, read about ways your company can participate in NCW.
Tips and Timeline for Organizing a Successful NCW Event
Before Your Event
- Recruit and adequately train your volunteers.
- Request permission from potential venues (local school, library, museum, etc.) to host an event.
- Learn about event insurance coverage and request a certificate of insurance from ACS.
- Obtain photo release forms from partnering schools and other youth groups.
- In this helpful fundraising guide, find ideas for funding sources, sample fundraising letters, acknowledgement letters, and more.
During Your Event
- Disseminate NCW-themed merchandise and hard copies of Celebrating Chemistry to attendees. These products can be purchased through the ACS Store.
- Distribute surveys (available in English and en Español) for attendees to complete to measure public impact and awareness. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for a unique electronic survey link.
- Don’t forget to thank volunteers for pitching in their time and resources for ensuring that your NCW event is a success.
Following Your Event
- Share the success of your event through local section newsletters, print, and social media (Facebook, Twitter, and the ACS Network).
- You may also send certificates of participation to attendees.
- Your local section or division can compete for a ChemLuminary Award! These CCA-sponsored ChemLuminary Awards rubrics outline how relevant nominations are evaluated.
Promote Your Event!
The following are ways to generate excitement among your volunteer base and engage large numbers of your community!
- Reach out to ChemClubs, Student Chapters, and local businesses to participate in or sponsor your event(s).
- Use social media to post events on your website.
- List your event through the ACS Event Locator.
- Incorporate NCW graphics into your promotional materials
- Publicize your event with local schools, universities, and other local press.