No matter how small or large your community, you will find suggestions for hosting a hands-on science event. Find information on planning, fundraising, promoting events, and more.
Tips and Timeline for Organizing a Successful Event
Before Your Event
- Recruit and adequately train your volunteers.
- Request permission from potential venues (local school, library, museum, etc.) to host an event.
- Learn about event insurance coverage and request a certificate of insurance from ACS.
- Review the safety guidelines for the event location and choice of activities.
- Obtain photo release forms from partnering schools and other youth groups.
- In this helpful fundraising guide, find ideas for funding sources, sample fundraising letters, acknowledgement letters, and more.
- Publicize your event on our Facebook page.
During Your Event
- Disseminate NCW-themed merchandise and hard copies of Celebrating Chemistry to attendees. These products can be purchased through the ACS Store.
- Distribute surveys for attendees to complete to measure public impact and awareness.
- Don’t forget to thank volunteers for pitching in their time and resources for ensuring that your NCW event is a success.
Following Your Event
- Share the success of your event through local section newsletters, print, and social media, using the hashtags #NCW #NationalChemistryWeek #MarvelousMetals
- Send certificates of appreciation to volunteers.
- Your local section or division can compete for a ChemLuminary Award!