Event Toolkit: Student Skills for Success
“Student Skills for Success” is a facilitated discussion on the skills, such as teamwork, problem-solving, and ethics, which are needed for success in the study and practice of chemistry.
The first such event was held at the 44th ACS Western Regional Meeting in Santa Clara, CA. Industry professionals, two- and four-year educators, and students held a spirited discussion to:
- Form connections among local chemistry professionals, educators, and students
- Identify the skills that best support students in their academic and professional careers
- Develop ways to improve the integration of student skills into curricula
Host your own event
Want to get students, educators, and industry professionals talking at your institution. Hosting a Skills for Success event is a great way to bring people together.
The following are some tools that can help. Modifying these templates or develop your own, based on your goals and needs.
- Framework presentation (template)
- Pre-event exercise for students (template)
- Icebreaker card (template 1, template 2, or example)
- Discussion questions worksheet (template)
- Exit poll (template)