Do you have successful demonstrations and hands-on activities for K-12 students to showcase? Sign up for the ChemDemo Exchange Using Household Chemicals!
- Where: 255th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA
- When: Sunday, March 18, 2018, 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Representatives from ACS will be at the event looking for activities to feature on the new Kids & Chemistry web resource. Chapters with suitable demonstrations and hands-on activities for middle/junior high school students (grades 5-8) are especially encouraged to participate.
The event will have 40 demonstration stations — each set-up with a table and a 4’ x 6’ poster board for the presenting chapter. Reservations for these stations will be accepted on a first-come basis. Each chapter may only reserve ONE tabe. To reserve your station, please submit your activity by Friday, January 19, 2018. Late submissions will be accepted ONLY if space is available and your materials list is approved by the Fire Marshall.
The Society Committee on Education (SOCED) Task Force on Undergraduate Programming has established a set of guidelines to ensure a safe event.Please make sure you and your chapter review these guidelines.
Only activities meeting the following criteria will be allowed:
- Only household chemicals may be used
- No toxic materials, including household products, may be used
- No open flames may be used
- No toxic fumes or gases may be generated
- No liquid nitrogen or dry ice may be used
- No tasting or encouraging others to taste items
- No demonstrations or activities that put the human body in danger
- Safety goggles must be worn by each participant and viewer
(Chapters should bring enough goggles to provide for your chapter and 12 viewers)
- Electrical apparatus (such as heat plates and stir plates) must be in good working order
Faculty advisors are asked to ensure that all demonstrations follow these guidelines. All submissions will be subject to review by our safety committee.