International Student Chapter Reports
Student chapter reports are an opportunity for chapters to inform ACS about their activities throughout the year. Nominations for a Student Chapter Award are based on exceptional activities, programs, initiatives described in chapter reports, after being reviewed by faculty advisors from across the world. The faculty review the reports (based on these criteria and considerations) and provide feedback on how to make the chapter more successful. Reports are due in May of each year.
All of the questions that you must answer on the report are included below. Please plan out your answers, before starting the report.
Student Chapter Reports are due May 26, 2022!
- To remain active, your chapter must submit a report at least once every three years.
- Please submit only one report per student chapter.
- If a particular question does not apply to your student chapter, please note that in your response and proceed to the next question.
- ACS is using a separate system to collect reports from international student chapters than the system for US student chapter reports. International student chapter reports must be submitted using the button below.
Student Chapter Information
- Faculty advisor and co-advisor information
- Chapter email and social media
- Number of students in chapter
- ACS student member information
- What were your student chapter's two major goals for the 2021-2022 year? How did your chapter work to accomplish these goals? What is an event or tradition that you believe is unique to your student chapter?
- Based on your assessment of this year's objectives, what are the chapter objectives for next year? What do you plan to do the same or differently?
Science Outreach and Community Interaction
- How many science outreach and Community interaction events did you hold this year?
- What were your most successful activities this year, and what made these events successful? What groups did you interact with (school groups, younger university students in the chemical sciences, parents, etc.)? Did you incorporate ACS celebrations or holidays into these activities, such as Mole Day, Chemists Celebrate Earth Week, National Chemistry Week, and/or the Chemistry Festival? If so, how? In the future what groups of activities would you like to work with?
- How did you evaluate chemical safety needs related to your activities? What steps did you take to promote chemical safety during your events for participants, observers, and organizers?
- Briefly describe any outreach activities you would like to try or groups you would like to work with in the future.
- How many professional development events did you hold this year? (Professional development activities include attending scientific meetings, hosting speakers, going on field trips or tours, etc.)
- What was your most successful professional development event this year? What made it successful? In your answer, consider the following factors:
Student Chapter Development
- How many chapter development events did you hold this year?
- How does your chapter plan activities?
- Do you hold planning or business meetings?
- How do you communicate with your chapter members?
- What role does your faculty advisor play?
- What event planning challenges have you faced, and how did you overcome them?
- How did your student chapter activities impact member recruitment and retention for your chapter? Which efforts were most successful, and why?
- Upload your chapter's budget for the 2021-2022 year. Please use the ACS student chapter budget template.
- How does your chapter plan for costs associated with your activities What is your most effective way of getting funding, and why? How does raising funds and managing the chapter budget help chapter members develop professional experience (sales skills, grant writing, etc.)? Did your chapter have enough money to accomplish its goals this year?
- Did your chapter conduct 3 or more green chemistry activities as defined by the Green Chemistry Institute?
- Provide a detailed summary of each green chemistry activity, including:
- How green chemistry was involved
- Number of chapter participants and number of non-chapter participants
- What you did that made the event successful and/or what you might do differently to make the event more successful
- How green chemistry was involved
- Please submit photos of your chapter and chapter events. You can upload a .zip file containing multiple photos, or provide a link below to photos stored online.