Chemistry of Swimming Pools
Picture a swimming pool of clear, sparkling water. Now picture what it takes to keep it that way. Chemistry is a big part of the picture! Learn more about the chemistry of pool maintenance, how to keep blonde hair from turning green in the pool, what happens if you pee in the pool (and why you shouldn’t!), and more.
- Chemistry for the Gifted and Talented: Swimming Pool Chemistry
Pool water is serious chemistry! Equilibrium, buffers, NMR, and more.
- Cookies, Diapers, and Chemical Engineering
What’s an “accidental insult” and how many of them can a swim diaper handle? Get ready for a diaper dissection.
- Pretreating Hair Before Going Swimming
It’s not easy being green. Take a look at this student project about preventing blonde hair from turning green in the pool.
- Swimming Pool Chemistry—Student Activities
Time to prep your pool for testing. It’s a little smaller than you might think… Ever see a 35-mm film canister?
- Swimming Pool Science: Maintaining Proper pH
Can you keep your mini-pool safe for swimmers? It’s all about the pH.
- Sink or Swim: Muscle Versus Fat
Are you a fantastic floater? Does it matter if you head to the indoor pool or the ocean? Explore some floater factors!
- Bathtub Science
Did you hear that? Or not? Test how well sound travels through water—a pool is the perfect place to find out.
- The Chemistry of Swimming Pools
Ah, the smell of summertime fun—chlorinated water. Learn the chemical how and why of swimming pool chlorination.
- ChemMatters "Swimming Pools"
It’s all about the balance. Does your pool have it?
- How Swimming Pools Work
Well, we know how they work—fill it with water and jump in, right? But what about the behind-the-scenes work?
- Healthy and Safe Swimming: Pool Chemical-Associated Health Events
Safety isn’t just for the chemistry lab. It’s also for dealing with chemicals for your swimming pool. Learn about the hazards.
- Swimming Pool Chemistry... Not Pretty
The NPR host says it’s “a chemical soup.” Do you have to worry about heading to the pool?
- Chemical Hazards
Pool water isn’t just water. You’ll find many more chemicals—what makes a “recreational water environment” safe?
- Natural Swimming Pools: More Beauty, No Chemicals
Pop quiz: what’s wrong with this article title? Check out the article—what could you tell these folks about chemistry?
- Chemists Decree: Don't Pee in the Pool
There’s research to back up this decree. See why it’s good to listen to chemists in this case!
- Swimming in Syrup Is as Easy as Water
This sounds like a Mythbusters episode, but it’s actual research. Would you take the plunge?
- Hot Tubs and Swimming Pools Are Not as Clean as You May Think
Even when they’re disinfected, they may not be what you think. Learn more in the 2016 journal article linked in this press release.
- How Much Pee in a Pool Would Kill You?
Looking to make a chemical warfare agent? First, take a swimming pool. Then, add urine. Deadly or not?
- Pool Chemicals
This article labels it a backyard experiment. The reagents? Chemicals to keep your pool sparkling. We hope.
- Some Personal Care Products May Build Up in Pools
Hey. Yeah, you. Did you shower before you jumped into the pool? See what can happen if you don’t.
- Assessing Swimming Pools' Environmental Cost
Yes, it’s refreshing. Yes, it’s relaxing. But at what cost? How does a swimming pool affect the environment over its lifetime?
- Pool Chemistry: Backyard Perils and Experiments
pH. Alkalinity. Some of these pool terms aren’t what a chemist might think.
- Everyday Compounds: Sodium Hypochlorite
Got chlorine? Know how it got in your pool? This infographic can help.
- Why Does the Pool Turn Blonde Hair Green?
Learn how a dip in the pool can turn your tresses green, then find out how to get rid of it (ketchup conditioner, anyone?).
- Pool Treatment 101: Introduction to Chlorine Sanitizing
A sanitized pool means happy, healthy swimmers. What does the “poolside chemist” need to know to keep it that way?