U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad
The U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad is a multi-tiered chemistry competition. The top four students of the national competition represent the United States in the annual International Chemistry Olympiad. Contact us: USNCO@acs.org
2020 Team USA for the International Chemistry Olympiad Selected
The U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad Program is proud to announce the four finalists who will represent USA at the 52nd Virtual International Chemistry Olympiad.
The Team USA members are:
- Anugrah Chemparathy, Dougherty Valley High School, CA, California Local Section
- Alex Li, Lexington High School, MA, Northeastern Local Section
- Ananthan Sadagopan, Westborough High School, MA, Central Massachusetts Local Section
- Alec Zhu, Lexington High School, MA, Northeastern Local Section
- 1st: Nicholas Tsao, St. Mark’s School of Texas, TX, Dallas Fort Worth Local Section
- 2nd: Michael Han, Dougherty Valley High School, CA, California Local Section
Team USA will be supported by mentors:
- Dr. Melissa Barranger-Mathys, Ursuline College, OH, Head mentor
- Dr. Joseph Houck, Penn State University, PA, College mentor
- Ms. Esther Hines, Billerica Memorial High School, MA, High School mentor
How to Participate in the USNCO
The U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad (USNCO) program is a chemistry competition for high school students. The purpose of the competition is to stimulate young people to achieve excellence in chemistry. The American Chemical Society has sponsored the program since 1984.
In order to participate you must:
If your Local Section nominates you after the Local Competition, you will have the opportunity to participate in the National Chemistry Olympiad Exam. The national exam involves three parts administered to more than 1,000 students. Students can use past National Exams to prepare. The 20 top-scoring students are chosen to attend a study camp where students are selected for the International competition.
The 20 top scoring students from the National Exam spend two weeks at a Study Camp to undergo rigorous training. Based on their performance, four students are chosen to represent the U.S. at the International Chemistry Olympiad.
- Students must be U.S. citizens or legal, permanent residents of the United States (green card holders) to take the U.S. national examination.
- High school students who will graduate no earlier than spring of the year that they participate in the competition are eligible.
- Students must be under the 20 years of age on the first of July of the year of the competition.
See Rules and Eligibility
2020 USNCO Schedule
- May 31-June 12, 2020 Study Camp
- July, 2020 52nd International Virtual Chemistry Olympiad
Show your support for the U.S. National Chemistry Olympiad Program by purchasing the new USNCO merchandise in the ACS Store.
T-shirts, buttons and microfiber cleaning cloths are now available.
Spread the word! Download posters, flyers, graphics, and sample social media posts to promote the USNCO.
USNCO In the News
USA Team wins three gold and one silver medals at the 51st International Chemistry Olympiad
Read the article in C&EN.