Local Section Bridging-the-Gap Mini-Grant
2017 Theme: ACS Membership Dues Assistance
This mini-grant provides funding of up to $500 for ACS Local Sections to assist in gaining new or retaining existing members by targeting a specific member audience for assistance in paying ACS membership dues.
Appropriate target audiences may include: unemployed/underemployed members, students, teachers, industrial chemists, etc. The project to be funded should include an event or program associated with granting dues assistance. Dues assistance may consist of partial or full payment of ACS dues. The recipients of dues assistance need not be current ACS members.
A few ideas for local section projects may involve, but are not limited to:
- Employment assistance events whereby attendees can be awarded dues assistance as a prize or may be randomly chosen.
- Arrange for local chemistry-based businesses to attend an event that brings them together with unemployed or underemployed chemists, and chemistry students who will be entering the job market soon.
- Organize a “résumé party” where members can participate in peer-editing résumés or CVs, and/or receive assistance from career consultants.
- Hold a “speed-interviewing” event for potential job-seekers.
- Student outreach events whereby attendees can be awarded dues assistance as a prize or may be randomly chosen.
- Conduct an essay, poster, or other creative work contest for chemistry students.
- Hold a career workshop at a local lab-based institution.
- Organize a “Program-In-A-Box” event for students.
- Teacher outreach events
- Membership dues assistance could be part of your section’s teacher award program.
- Teachers whose students participate in Chemistry Olympiad or other section programs could receive dues assistance.
The May 31, 2017 submission deadline has passed.
Complete a Summary Report
Local Sections are required to submit a summary report of their funded project within two months of the project’s completion. If you were awarded a Bridging-the-Gap grant in 2016, you must complete a summary report before applying again.