Student Chapter Starter Grant
Deadline for Sping 2017 Grants is May 24, 2017
The Student Chapter Starter Grant is for two-year and four-year institutions that are interested in starting a new ACS Student Chapter or re-activating a chapter that has been inactive for at least five years. Clubs use the grants to grow and apply for an ACS charter. Clubs with active ACS charters are eligible for other grants, awards, and professional development opportunities.
The ACS Student Chapters program is designed to enhance the college experience and prepare students for successful careers. Student coordinate and participate in wide range of activities, including community service, chemistry-themed events, science demonstrations, study groups, and trips to technical meetings and local chemical companies.
When are grants distributed?
Grants are distributed in the Spring and Fall 2017 on a first-come, first served basis. Up to 20 grants will be awarded in 2017.
To be eligible, the following requirements must be met:
- The application must be for a two- or four-year institution that has not had an active ACS student chapter in the past five years.*
- A faculty advisor must be identified. The faculty advisor can be any faculty member of any rank who is a current ACS member.
- Receiving a starter grant does not activate your chapter. You must still complete the charter application process in order to become an ACS student chapter.
- Newly formed chapters that have recently received their charters are not eligible for starter grants, however they are for ACS student chapter grants.
How to Apply
- Institutional Employer Identification Number (EIN)
The EIN can usually be obtained from your institution’s accounting or fund-raising office.
- Personal and faculty advisor contact information
Contact information will be used only for communication regarding the starter grant.
- Institutional student club policy
Ultimately, your chapter will need to also be an official club at your institution. You may copy & paste your institution's policy or simply provide the URL for it.
- Proposed budget and timeline for formation or reactivation of the ACS student chapter
Budget and timeline do not need to be detailed, but they should indicate a coherent plan for starting the chapter.