Student Chapter Starter Grant
ACS student chapters are a great way to engage undergraduate students of all backgrounds and majors. From outreach to study groups to chemistry-themed events, members participate in a wide range of activities that enhance their college experience and prepare them for successful careers.
Two-year and four-year institutions are eligible for $300 starter grants. These grants are used to help groups coelasce to the point that they are ready to apply for an ACS student chapter charter. Starter grants can be used for the development of a new ACS student chapter or the reactivation of a chapter that has been inactive for at least five years.
Please note: these grants are intended to help clubs get to the point where they can apply for an ACS charter. They are not for chapters that have recently received an ACS charter.
Applications for the fall grants will be accepted September 1 through Novermber 12, 2016.
Distribution of awards
Up 20 grants will be distributed in 2016:
- Ten grants will be distributed in Spring 2016 on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Ten grants will be distributed in Fall 2016 on a first-come, first-served basis.
Get Peer Help
To be eligible, all of the following requirements must be met:
- The application must be for a two- or four-year institution that has not had an active ACS student chapter in the past five years.*
- A faculty advisor must be identified. The faculty advisor can be any faculty member of any rank who is a current ACS member.
- The application form must be completed.
Note: receipt of a starter grant does not activate your chapter. You must still complete the charter application process in order to become an ACS student chapter.
How to apply for a starter grant
The following information is required for your application:
- Institutional contact information and Employer Identification Number (EIN): the EIN can usually be obtained from your institution’s accounting or fund-raising office.
- Personal and faculty advisor contact information: contact information will be used only for communication regarding the starter grant.
- Your institution’s student club policy
- Proposed budget for starting the ACS student chapter
- Proposed timeline for formation or reactivation of the ACS student chapter
Note: budget and timeline do not need to be detailed, but they should indicate a coherent plan for starting the chapter.
How to apply for an ACS charter
Active ACS student chapters are eligibile for a variety of grants, awards, and professional development opportunities. Starter grant recipients may apply for an ACS charter as soon as they have been notified of the award or once they have met the following criteria:
- Have a minimum of 6 members who are ACS student members
- Have a faculty advisor
- Develop a set of by-laws
- Complete the charter application form
More information can be found at Start/Reactivate a Student Chapter.