Nina McClelland Memorial Award
Award at a Glance
To sponsor the participation of postdoctoral scholars in the annual Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference.
The Nina McClelland Memorial Award is open to postdoctoral chemists who are engaged in green chemistry research. Two $2,000 awards will be provided each year and awardees must present their research during the Conference.
Postdoctoral scholars conducting research in green chemistry, in the U.S. or internationally, are eligible to apply. Awardees must present an oral or poster presentation during the 26th Annual Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference, which will be held in Reston, Virginia, June 6-8, 2022.
For the purposes of this award, green and sustainable chemistry innovations are characterized by:
- Maximization of resource efficiency;
- Elimination and reduction of toxics and pollution;
- The holistic design of systems; and
- The use of life cycle thinking.
Submissions must address at least one of these attributes and nominees are encouraged to address as many as possible.
The deadline for the Nina McClelland Memorial Award is 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, December 31, 2021.
Please send your applications as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with “McClelland Award – [your last name]” in the subject line.
Applications must be a single PDF file, no longer than six, 8½-by-11-inch pages, written in font no smaller than 11 point, with margins of at least 1 inch and should include the following:
- A curriculum vitae or résumé no more than three pages in length including:
- Applicant’s name, department, institution or company, and name of postdoctoral mentor
- Applicant’s mailing address, telephone, and email
- Field of study, degrees (including month and year earned), and work experience (if any)
- List of recent presentations and publications
- Honors and awards (if any)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant's postdoctoral mentor. If the applicant has recently started their postdoc, a letter of recommendation from their graduate school advisor is also acceptable. The letter may be sent separately or included with the other application materials.
- Essay (no more than one page) by the applicant that briefly describes their green chemistry research, how they will benefit from participation in the Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference, and why they should be selected to receive the award.
Judging & Notification
A panel of experts convened by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® will judge the applications.
Notification of the award will be made on or before February 1, 2022.
Recipients of the Nina McClelland Memorial Award will receive their $2,000 award in advance to assist with travel arrangements. Following the Conference, a 1-page written report describing the recipient’s experience during the Conference must be submitted to the ACS Green Chemistry Institute®.
Establishment & Support
The Nina McClelland Memorial Award was established in 2021 thanks to a generous bequest to the American Chemical Society from the estate of Dr. Nina McClelland. Dr. McClelland was a champion for green chemistry, serving on the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® Advisory Board for 17 years. Her impressive career included professional and volunteer roles as President and CEO of NSF International; Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Toledo; and Chair of the Board of Directors of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Please contact the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® at email@example.com or 202-872-6102 with any questions about applying for the Nina McClelland Memorial Award.