ChemClub Community Activities Grant
Grant at a Glance
To support chartered ChemClubs wishing to make a local impact through community interactions, such as service projects or science learning experiences in the greater community.
Chartered ChemClubs are eligible to receive up to a $300 Finn Scientific gift card to support their community-based chemistry activities. Community activities done in collaboration with ACS Local Sections, ACS Student Chapters, or other ChemClubs are eligible to receive up to a $500 Flinn gift card.
To be eligible for a ChemClub Community Activity Grant, your club must meet the following requirements:
- Your club must be a chartered ACS ChemClub for that school year. Registration is open from May 1 to November 1 each year.
- If collaborating on a project with an ACS Student Chapter, the chapter must have an “active” status, or an ACS Local Section, there must be a defined role for both the ACS ChemClub and the collaborating group.
The application period for the 2022-2023 school year will open on August 1, 2022 and will close on November 1, 2022.
You will provide your school and contact information.
Summarize your Club's proposed activity/event and the goals associated with it. If you have done the activity/event before, how will you enhance the activity this year?
Audience & Outcomes
- Who is the expected audience for the event, including ages/grades and number of people?
- How will they benefit from the grant?
- What is one chemistry concept that the audience should understand after your activity/project?
- What will the ChemClub members learn from this project?
- Identify any hazards (potential danger or harm to a person's health or life) may be present in the activity.
- Do you have Safety Data Sheets available for the chemicals that will be used in the activity?
- How will ChemClub minimize the risks of the activity? (Consider personal protective equipment, chemical quantities, and the resources available at the location of your planned activity.)
- How will the audience be informed of all safety guidelines?
Describe the supplies that your Club would like to purchase (with the use of a Flinn Scientific gift card) for this grant activity. Please include specific items from Flinn Scientific, the quantity of each item and rationale for the quantity, the price of each item, total cost estimate, not to exceed $300 (unless collaborating with another ChemClub, ACS Student Chapter, or ACS Local Section, in which case it is not to exceed $500.). Include any shipping charges that may be added by Flinn.
The grant activity must be chemistry-related and impact the community outside of the immediate school of the ChemClub. . Examples include planning and conducting science demonstrations at a local elementary or middle school, starting a recycling program for your community, and conducting water quality testing in your local community. ChemClub members must be heavily involved in the planning and execution of the project.
Watch these webinars to increase your chances of being awarded a grant:
- Enhance Your Chemistry Classroom with Other People's Money – a walk through the grant writing process
- Use Other People's Money to Enhance Your Classroom - hear from two teachers on how they have used the ACS grants
Your grant application will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Budget items support the proposed activitiy and does not exceed $300 (or $500 if partnered with a Student Chapter, Local Section, or another ChemClub).
- Budget items are identified for purchase from Flinn Scientific.
- Application uses language that is clear, concise and free of spelling or grammatical errors.
- Responses align with the questions posed.
- Safety concerns are addressed and will be shared with the intended audience.
- The proposed plan is possible within the current school year.
- Creativity/originality of the proposal.
- The proposal clearly Involves the community outside of the immediate school of the ChemClub
- The proposed activity is chemistry-related