ACS PRF Online Proposal Application Form Overview
The ACS PRF online proposal system is a customized version of the Salesforce Community Portal. We strongly encourage you to view a webinar on the new system and proposal submission processes (held on Thurs., Jan. 21) prior to starting the application. Use Passcode: 6N^F6a$g
The new process for submission of an application for a Petroleum Research Fund (PRF) Grant requires:
1. An American Chemical Society (ACS) Network User ID: You can obtain one for free by visiting the registration site. You must also use the forgoing link to access the proposal submission site. View online help for registration here. You do not need to be an ACS member to obtain a User ID. If you have an ACS Network User ID or need to register for one, you should verify that you can logon well in advance of the submission deadline since this system is not administered by PRF (See Figure 1).
2. Entry of most application information directly into a web form: It is highly recommended that you collect this information in a document that you can easily copy from and paste into the web form. You will need the following:
a. Contact Information for:
i. Principal Investigator
ii. Grant Officer
iii. Co-Principal Investigator (if applicable)
iv. Suggested Reviewers (6)
b. Title of Proposed Research
c. Abstract: The abstract must be 250 words or less. The abstract must also be part of the uploaded technical proposal PDF (See Item 4).
d. Petroleum Relevance Statement
e. Requested Start Date: For proposals considered in October 2021, January 1, 2022 is the earliest start date.
f. Institutional Reference Number: If provided by your grants office.
g. Resubmission (only): if research topic was previously submitted to PRF, reviewed and denied, a statement of modifications/changes is required.
h. Demographic Information for PI and Co-PI
i. Budget Amount by Year and Justification: Amounts for approved budget categories for each grant year will be validated on saving. Each budget period must end on August 31 and be at least twelve months in duration. A starting date earlier than September 1 will result in a first budget period longer than twelve months. Fringe benefits should be included with salaries and stipends. A validated budget is included with the Signature Sheet (See Item 3, Figure 2).
j. Education and Experience: Provide information on the following:
i. All academic degrees, when and where received
ii. Ph.D. thesis title and supervisor
iii. List postdoctoral appointment(s) and supervisor(s), if appropriate
iv. List current and previous positions, in chronological order
v. Significant honors and awards
vi. and other pertinent biographical information
k. Current and Pending Research Support:
i. List any active research grants or other current financial support received for research. Give titles, amounts (annual direct costs; if more than one PI, indicate only your share of the granted amount), sources, time periods of awards, and relationship to this proposal. Indicate “none” if applicable.
ii. List any other research grant applications pending. Give titles, amounts requested (annual direct costs), sources, and relationship to this proposal. Indicate “none” if applicable.
iii. Describe any start-up support or funding. Indicate “none” if applicable.
l. Publications: List all research publications and presentations. Include titles, co-authors, and literature references.
m. Safety: Principal Investigators must describe any significant risks or hazards that may be encountered in the proposed work, and how these risks or hazards would be mitigated.
n. Suggested Reviewers: Names of 6 suggested reviewers. Former mentors, colleagues and individuals from institutions that the PI is or has been associated with are not eligible to be reviewers. Further, a PI may not suggest a reviewer whom the PI has suggested to PRF in the last 4 years.
o. Collaborations: If you will be collaborating with other scientists in the performance of the research described in this proposal, identify the collaborators and briefly indicate the nature of the collaboration. If any of these collaborators are current ACS PRF grantees or applicants, discuss the relationship between this proposal and the collaborator’s ACS PRF project. A letter from the collaborator(s), confirming the extent and nature of the collaboration, should be added to the application.
3. Signature Sheet and Budget: After entering budget and other application information, a Signature Sheet is downloaded from the system. The Signature Sheet must then be signed and re-uploaded as a PDF. The signatures of the PI and an authorized official of your institution are required on the Signature Sheet. The institutional official is not the Department Chair, but the person who is authorized to commit the PI’s institution to performing the proposed research.
4. Technical Proposal: The technical proposal is uploaded as a separate PDF. The proposal should not be longer than 4,000 words, double-spaced in 12-point font. The word count is entered at the end of the proposal narrative. Proposals that exceed this limitation will not be considered.
5. For ND and UR Proposals (only): A statement (no longer than 1 page) of how the proposed research is significantly different from the PI’s previous research and represents a new research direction for the PI must be included.
6. For UR (only): An educational impact statement is needed and data regarding the undergraduates pursing advanced degrees. Use a table to indicate the number of undergraduate majors that have completed work in your department, and have received bachelor’s degrees, in each of the last seven years. Please indicate how many of these students went on to graduate study and which institutions they entered.