Dr. Abdul Jalil Al-Singace (Bahrain, Middle East)
Status: Imprisoned – sentenced to life in prison.
Dr. Abdul Jalil Al-Singace has been a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Bahrain, Isa Town, since 1995. He also serves as the Director of the Human Rights Bureau of the Haq Movement for Civil Liberties and Democracy, an opposition political movement.
Dr. Al-Singace was taken forcibly from his home on March 17, 2011 and imprisoned without charge. Prior to this, he was detained by the National Security Apparatus of Bahrain and was also arrested on August 13, 2010. That arrest followed his address to the British House of Lords during which he reported on Bahrain’s human rights situation.
Human Rights Case
This case, in particular Dr. Alsingace’s forcible removal from his home and his imprisonment without charge, is in apparent contravention of rights protected in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, to which Bahrain is a signatory.
Related Public Articles
- Alsingace’s Blog: http://alsingace.blogspot.com/
- PEN American Center: Activist and blogger Abdul-Jalil Alsingace sentenced to life imprisonment
What You Can Do
Send letters, faxes and emails, to the address below, urging the authorities:
- to ensure his well-being, access to legal counsel of his choosing, and access to family and medical treatment;
- to ensure that he receives a fair opportunity to appeal his sentence before an impartial tribunal;
- to ensure that his case is handled in a manner consistent with internationally recognized standards of due process, fair trial and detention, in accordance with Bahrain’s obligations under international law; and
- to ensure that any charges or convictions which are related to activities protected under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are lifted.
His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Salman Al Khalifa
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
P.O. Box 547
Kingdom of Bahrain
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to: +973 1-753-6343
Sheikh Khalid bin Ali Al-Khalifa
Minister of Justice and Islamic Affairs
Ministry of Justice and Islamic Affairs
- Fax: +973 175 31 284
Send copies of your correspondence to:
The Honorable _________
Ambassador of Bahrain to [YOUR COUNTRY]
The Honorable _________
Ambassador of [YOUR COUNTRY] to Bahrain