Grants & Awards for Local Sections
New Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect Grant for 2020!
LSAC has authorized the creation of a grant program focusing specifically on DI&R. The Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect Grant for Local Sections will provide up to $2000 in funding for meaningful programming/activities that advance this core value. Naturally, each section’s interpretation of how to approach the topic may be very different and reviewers are expecting a wide array of varying activities and programs from your proposals.
We will begin accepting proposals for the DI&R Grant on October 12, 2020 and ask that sections complete their applications by November 8, 2020 at 11:59 pm EDT. Your section’s activity/program should take place between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021. You are strongly encouraged to include a plan for virtual activities should the need arise.
When developing you proposal there are a few things that LSAC recommends you keep in mind:
- The program/activity should have a broad impact on your section and should stimulate sustaned DI&R awareness.
- Avoid the 'deficit model'. The 'deficit model' refers to the model put forth that marginalized people have a defict that must be overcome.
- Diversity goes beyond race and includes color, religion, sex/gender identity, disability, and/or sexual orientation.
Some ideas for programs/activities include:
- Speaker Series
- Heritage Days
- Scholarship Matching Funds
- Host/sponsor an activity with Project SEED or ACS Scholars
- Undergraduate Research Support
- Student Stipends for Safe Lab Work
- Outreach to Underrepresented Communities/Schools
- Adopt-a-High School
- Diversity Professional Development
- Book Clubs
- Social Media Training
- Local Section Science Café Mini-Grant
Grants of up to $500 are available to assist Local Sections in hosting a Science Café in their community.
- Local Section Members Engaging through Technology (METT) Grant
Funding up to $2000 is available to assist local sections as they seek to use technology to more fully engage their current membership.
- Local Section Sustainability Programming Grant
Grants up to $500 are available on a rolling basis to enable sustainability programming within your local section.
- Local Section Innovative Project Grant
The Local Section Innovation Project encourages local sections to conceive of and implement innovative projects. View a list of previously funded projects.
- Corporation Associates Local Section Grant
Grants up to $1000 are available to assist local sections promote industry focused events at the local section level.
- ChemLuminary Awards
The ChemLuminary Awards honor and recognize ACS members and volunteers for their tremendous efforts on behalf of the Society.
- Outreach Volunteers of the Year
Outreach Volunteers of the Year awards recognize the immeasurable efforts made by ACS local section and international chapter volunteers who conduct outreach and teach the public about chemistry. Sponsored by the Committee on Community Activities (CCA).
- Local Section Public Relations Awards
These awards are given to local sections by the Committee on Public Relations and Communications in an effort to recognize outstanding efforts by local sections to promote chemistry to the public.
- Salutes to Excellence
An outreach program that gives ACS local sections, technical divisions, regional meetings, and national committees an opportunity to underscore outstanding accomplishments or achievements of service by external partners who have made a positive impact on everyday life or who have helped contribute to greater public awareness of chemistry. Sponsored by the Committee on Community Activities (CCA).