Education & Workforce
Teaching & Learning Science
- STEM Professionals in the Classroom: Volunteering to Improve K-12 Education, ACS Science & the Congress Briefing (February 2, 2010) video available
- Learning Science in Informal Environments: People, Places, and Pursuits, P. Bell, B. Lewenstein, A.W. Shouse, and M.A. Feder, Eds., Committee on Learning Science in Informal Environments, National Research Council, 2009.
- Scientific Teaching, J. Handelsman, et al. Science, Vol. 304. no. 5670, pp. 521 – 522, April 2004.
- How People Learn: Brain, Mind, Experience, and School, J. Bransford, A. Brown, and R. Cocking, Eds. National Research Council, Washington DC: National Academies Press, 1999.
- Improving Teacher Preparation and Credentialing Consistent with the National Science Education Standards: Report of a Symposium, Center for Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Education, National Research Council, 1997.
- The Role of STEM Education in the Growing “Green Collar” Economy, ACS Science & the Congress Briefing (September 16, 2009)
- Building a Diverse Scientific Workforce: Collaboration for a Competitive and Healthy Nation, ACS Science & the Congress Briefing (March 12, 2009)
- The U.S. Science and Technology Workforce, CRS RL34539, Deborah D. Stine and Christine M. Matthews, February 3, 2009.
- Educating to Advance Nanotechnology ACS Science & the Congress Briefing (January 23, 2008) video available
- A New Science Degree to Meet Industry Needs, Michael S. Teitelbaum, Issues in Science & Technology, Fall 2006.
- Preparing Chemists and Chemical Engineers for a Globally Oriented Workforce: A Workshop Report to the Chemical Sciences Roundtable, D. Burland, M. Doyle, M. Rogers, and T. Masciangioli, Eds. Chemical Sciences Roundtable, National Research Council, 2004.
- Envisioning A 21st Century Science and Engineering Workforce for the United States: Tasks for University, Industry, and Government, Shirley Ann Jackson, Ph.D., President, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine, National Academies Press, 2003.
- Strengthening High School Chemistry Education Through Teacher Outreach Programs: A Workshop Summary to the Chemical Sciences Roundtable, Steve Olson, Rapporteur, Chemical Sciences Roundtable, National Research Council, 2009.
- K-12 STEM Education Models that Work ACS Science & the Congress Briefing (April 17, 2008)
- Taking Science to School: Learning and Teaching Science in Grades K-8, R. Duschl, H. Schweingruber, and A. Shouse, Eds. Committee on Science Learning, Kindergarten through Eighth Grade; National Research Council, 2007.
- Ready, Set, SCIENCE!: Putting Research to Work in K-8 Science Classrooms S. Michaels, A. Shouse, and H. Schweingruber; National Research Council, 2007.
- Graduate Education in the Chemical Sciences: Issues for the 21st Century: Report of a Workshop, Chemical Sciences Roundtable, Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology, National Research Council, National Academies Press, 2000.
Women & Minorities
- NSF Data on Doctorates to Underrepresented Minorities.
Provides information on NSF’s Science Resources Statistics Division progress toward improving the release of doctorate recipient data of underrepresented minorities as part of the annual Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED).
- Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering, NSF statistical report
- STEM Education, Girls and the Challenges that Follow: From the Classroom to STEM Careers ACS Science & the Congress Briefing (July 16, 2008)
- To Recruit and Advance: Women Students and Faculty in Science and Engineering, Committee on the Guide to Recruiting and Advancing Women Scientists and Engineers in Academia, Committee on Women in Science and Engineering, National Research Council, National Academies Press, 2006.
- Minorities in the Chemical Workforce: Diversity Models that Work - A Workshop Report to the Chemical Sciences Roundtable, Chemical Sciences Roundtable, National Research Council, National Academies Press, 2003.
- Diversity in Engineering: Managing the Workforce of the Future, Committee on Diversity in the Engineering Workforce, National Academy of Engineering, National Academies Press, 2002.
- Environmental Research and Education Needs: An Agenda for a New Administration, David E. Blockstein and Cassandra Brunette, National Council for Science & the Environment, December 18, 2008.
- Exploring Opportunities in Green Chemistry and Engineering Education: A Workshop Summary to the Chemical Sciences Roundtable P.aul Anastas, F. Wood-Black, T. Masciangioli, E. McGowan, and L. Ruth, Eds. Chemical Sciences Roundtable, National Research Council, National Academies Press, 2007.