Instructions for Authors
Please read the information below to review guidelines that could help to make your recommendation letter stand out.
- Recommendation letters should be uploaded using the widget below.
- The recommendation letter must be uploaded by the application deadline (January 15, 2020, 11:59 p.m. Eastern U.S. time zone).
- Reference the applicant's first and last name at the top of the letter.
- Please note that the letter must be signed, on company/university letterhead, and be saved as a PDF.
- Please save the pdf file with the applicant’s last name (underscore) applicant’s first initial (underscore) author’s last name. Example: “Galileo_G_Copernicus.pdf”
Letters of recommendation are extremely important in the application review process for the American Chemical Society’s Public Policy Fellowship Program and should address:
- The applicant’s technical accomplishments and relative standing among his/her peers
- The applicant’s interpersonal and communication skills, including experience communicating effectively (orally and in writing) with non-technical audiences
- The applicant’s maturity and judgment
- The applicant’s interest and experience in the public policy process
Recommenders should keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Be familiar with the ACS Public Policy Fellowship Program. Know whether your applicant is applying for the ACS Congressional Fellowship, the ACS Science Policy Fellowship, or both. More information about the ACS Public Policy Fellowship Program can be found on www.acs.org/policyfellow.
- Make clear how long you have known the applicant, and in what context. You should directly address why and how the applicant fits the criteria for the ACS Public Policy Fellowship Program.
- Use vivid, concrete examples. Evidence of how you have directly observed the strengths and accomplishments of the applicant is very helpful.
Thank you in advance for the time and effort you put into writing this recommendation. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the ACS Public Policy Fellowship program manager at email@example.com.