FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | August 08, 2019
Water scarcity, sustainability and more featured on first day of ACS national meeting in San Diego
WASHINGTON, Aug. 18, 2019 — Water chemistry, including sustainability, safety, scarcity and environmental stewardship, will be explored in the opening session of the American Chemical Society’s (ACS’) Fall 2019 National Meeting & Exposition, Aug. 25-29 in San Diego. ACS President Bonnie Charpentier, Ph.D., is co-sponsoring the session, which will set the stage for the meeting’s theme of “Chemistry & Water.”
Opening session: Chemistry and Water, Sunday, Aug. 25, 3-5 p.m., San Diego Convention Center, Ballroom 6A/B
- Vicki Grassian, Ph.D., “Water’s Effect on Chemistry”
- William Alley, Ph.D., “Meeting the Challenges of the World’s Growing Dependence on Groundwater”
- Andrew Kricun, Ph.D., “Environmental Stewardship and Community Service: Essential Best Practices for the Clean Water Utility of the Future”
- Bego Gerber, Ph.D., “Water, Water, Everywhere, Nor Any Drop to Drink”
Welcome Reception: Sunday, Aug. 25, 5:30-7:30 p.m., San Diego Convention Center, Halls D/E
- From Oceans to Clouds: The Environmental Chemistry of Water, Tuesday, Aug. 27, 8:30 a.m.- 5:20 p.m., Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina - Carlsbad (South Tower - Level 3)
- The Chemistry of Disasters, Tuesday, Aug. 27, 1:00-5:20 p.m., San Diego Convention Center, Room 5A (Upper Level)
- Collaborating for the Greater Good: What Works and What Doesn’t, Tuesday, Aug. 27, 1:30-5:30 p.m., San Diego Convention Center, Room 29B (Upper Level)
- Keeping Water Safe, Wednesday, Aug. 28, 1-4:30 p.m., Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina - La Costa (South Tower - Level 4)
- ACS Kids Zone, a presidential outreach event, will be held at the Fleet Science Center, Saturday, Aug. 24, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- ACS Chemistry Teachers Reception, featuring guest speaker Derek Muller, Sunday, Aug. 25, 5-7 p.m., Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina - Marina Ballroom Salon D/E (South Tower - Level 3)
Journalists and public information officers are encouraged to apply for complimentary press registration for this conference.
The American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society, is a not-for-profit organization chartered by the U.S. Congress. ACS is a global leader in providing access to chemistry-related information and research through its multiple databases, peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences. ACS does not conduct research, but publishes and publicizes peer-reviewed scientific studies. Its main offices are in Washington, D.C., and Columbus, Ohio.