Global Challenges/Chemistry Solutions
Experience this podcast:
Science for Kids
A magazine for high school students
- More than Blue (February 2005)
Chemical imbalances in the brain can be involved in depression. How do chemicals like Prozac rebalance that brain chemistry and bring relief for millions of people suffering from the disease?
- Lab on a Stick (October 2004)
Meet the tiny paper strip with two enzymes and 16 reagents that can perform 10 urinalysis tests in under two minutes and help diagnose a host of medical conditions.
ACS Policy Statements and Briefings
Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS®)
Focusing on new technologies for early disease detection, SciFinder®, a research tool produced by CAS (a division of the American Chemical Society), found 2842 references published this year on the topic of microfluidics. This broader set of references includes information on fabrication of such devices and guidelines for preparation of clinical samples. Refining the answer set to include specific mention of using these devices for detection and analysis of cancerous cells and associated biomarkers yielded 97 references.
The CAS databases cover references from more than 10,000 major scientific journals and 57 patent authorities worldwide.
In the News
- Breathing easier
C&EN September 1, 2008
- Gain and loss in malaria war
C&EN March 10, 2008
- Personalized medicine
C&EN February 11, 2008
- Taking down TB
C&EN September 24, 2007
- Molecules for memory
C&EN September 3, 2007
- Linking exposures in the womb to adult diseases
ES&T August 15, 2007
- Redirecting autism research
ES&T May 23, 2007
- Using mice to study disease
ES&T November 29, 2006
- Risks of nanotechnology remain uncertain
ES&T February 20, 2008
- Scientists urge action against prenatal and early infancy exposures
ES&T June 27, 2007
- PBDEs, cats, and children
ES&T August 15, 2007
- Resetting Priorities
C&EN September 22, 2008
- Hundreds of books have been written in the past few years about combating disease. These books offer an amazing variety of opinions and viewpoints. Information on many of these books is available from the Library of Congress, http://catalog.loc.gov/
Sources for this podcast
- Biodistribution and Pharmacokinetic Analysis of Paclitaxel and Ceramide Administered in Multifunctional Polymer-Blend Nanoparticles in Drug Resistant Breast Cancer Model
Molecular Pharmaceutics, August 2008
- Targeting Mitochondria
Accounts of Chemical Research, January 2008
- Polyketal Copolymers: A New Acid-Sensitive Delivery Vehicle for Treating Acute Inflammatory Diseases
Bioconjugate Chemistry, June 2008
- On-Chip Single-Copy Real-Time Reverse-Transcription PCR in Isolated Picoliter Droplets
Analytical Chemistry, March 15, 2008
- Gold Nanoparticle-Based Colorimetric Assay for the Direct Detection of Cancerous Cells
Analytical Chemistry, February 15, 2008
Meet the Scientists
What Is Chemistry?
What is chemistry?
What do chemists do?
Learn more about how important chemistry is in our daily lives through articles, hands on activities, and resources to use in the classroom.