ACS International Student Chapters
ACS International Student Chapters are organizations for college/university students studying the chemical sciences. Members participate in a wide range of programs and activities that enhance their experience and prepare them for successful careers.
How to Start an ACS International Student Chapter
Establish a program that will benefit your peers and support students who want to pursue a career in chemistry.
To start an ACS international student chapter at your institution:
- Identify at least 6 student members of the ACS at the Premium package level at your school and have their member numbers available. If students plan to join ACS to form a student chapter, you can apply for a one-time starter grant from ACS to help pay for your first 6 student members. Students who join ACS as a member will always receive the Premium package of benefits.
- Choose a faculty member to serve as your advisor. Advisors must be a member of the ACS at the Premium package level. Learn more about the role of a faculty advisor on our resource page.
- Compose a set of proposed bylaws to help manage your chapter. Download our recommended bylaws to build off of.
- Complete and submit the ACS Student Chapter Charter form by clicking the button below.
Once your application is approved, ACS will grant your chapter a charter and a welcome packet will be e-mailed to your faculty advisor who will present the charter to your new ACS International Student Chapter!
Maintaining an Active Chapter
There are many benefits of maintaining an active chapter status with ACS. Staying active means that your chapter can:
- qualify for chapter awards
- present posters at ACS meetings
- gain opportunities to plan meeting activities and symposia
- qualify for exclusive ACS contests
In order to remain active, a chapter must submit a chapter report at least once every three years and maintain a minimum of 6 student members. The report offers chapters the opportunity to inform ACS about your activities, voice concerns from the academic year, and provide suggestions for future activities.
ACS International Center
The ACS International Center™ is the essential guide for scientists and engineers looking to study, work, and conduct research overseas.
Socials, Journal Clubs, and More
Find out about upcoming Social Distancing Socials or Journal Clubs, explore a growing list of mocktails, or learn about the monthly challenge.