Start/Reactivate a Student Chapter
Are you interested in establishing an ACS student chapter at your institution? Forming a chapter is a great way to help organize your student chemistry or science club. Becoming an active chapter with ACS opens many doors and staying active will benefit your peers and support students who wish to pursue a career in chemistry.
Starting an ACS Student Chapter
Chartering an ACS student chapter at your school is now easier than ever! Simply complete and submit the form below and you’re on your way. Once ACS approves your application, your chapter will be granted a charter and a certificate will be mailed to your faculty advisor or the chair of the nearest ACS local section chair. They will present your new ACS student chapter with your official charter certificate.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- Identify at least 6 student members (Premium Member) of the ACS at your school and have their member numbers handy.
- Email us! We might be able to help you find members at your school.
- Community Associates are not eligible to be included in the count of student members.
- Choose a faculty member to serve as your advisor. Advisors must be a premium member of the ACS. Learn more about the role of a faculty advisor on our resource page.
- Compose a set of proposed bylaws to help manage your chapter. If you need help, download a Word document of the recommended bylaws.
How to Stay Active
In order to remain active, a chapter must submit a chapter report (sign in using your Last Name / Member Number option) at least once every three years and maintain at least 6 premium student members. The report offers chapters the opportunity to inform ACS about your activities, voice concerns from the academic year, provide suggestions for future activities, and become eligible for a Student Chapter Award.
Tip: Appoint a member as the official record keeper for the year. This person should record and summarize all events to allow for accurate documentation in the chapter report.
Reactivate Your Student Chapter
An ACS student chapter becomes inactive when the number of premium student members falls below 6 or the chapter has not submitted a chapter report within the last 3 years. Reinstating an inactive ACS Student Chapter takes only a few minutes.
To get started on your chapter’s reactivation you will need the following:
- Identify at least 6 premium student members of the ACS at your school and have their member numbers handy. (Email us! We might be able to help you find members at your school.)
- Complete and submit the form linked below.
You will receive a confirmation email once your chapter’s reactivation has been approved.
Apply for the ACS Student Communities Starter Grant before submitting for a charter! The grant is available to new (not yet chartered) or reactivating (after five years of inactive status) ACS Student Chapters. The grant can be used to help apply for and grow your charter.
Open a Chapter Bank Account
Update Faculty Advisor
Requests to update your chapter's faculty advisor should be submitted using the form. You will need both the old and new faculty advisor's member number to complete this request.
Changes to student leaders should be made in Student Chapters Online.