Heroes of Chemistry
Award at a Glance
An annual award championed by the ACS’s Board Committee on Corporation Associates to recognize teams of industrial chemical scientists whose work has led to the development of successful commercialized products ingrained with chemistry for the benefit of humankind.
Chemistry's heroes are scientists and engineers who have made the world better through their effort, ingenuity, creativity and perseverance. The life-saving treatments and conveniences of the modern world would not be possible without the materials, drugs, and other products of chemistry.
The American Chemical Society (ACS), since 1996, has inducted winning teams of scientists into The Heroes of Chemistry, a scientific hall of fame. The life-saving treatments and conveniences of the modern world would not be possible without the materials, drugs, and other products of chemistry. Heroes of Chemistry recognizes the teams of chemists who work toward the betterment of humankind.
Any private or publicly owned for-profit company may nominate a team of chemists, chemical engineers, and other allied professionals who played a vital role in the research and development of a commercial product that has had an impact on the welfare and progress of humanity.
Nominating companies must be the current owner of the technology and may choose to include:
- Individuals from other companies, government or academic labs, incubators, or other organizations; or
Former and deceased employees.
Please address all 3 requirements clearly and concisely:
- The technical merit of the innovation, including the talent and foresight demonstrated by the nominee(s).
- The financial performance of the product(s), market share, and/or other measure of commercial impact.
- The impact, lives affected, and benefit to humankind made by the product(s).
The 2024 nomination period for Heroes of Chemistry is open from November 1, 2023 until February 1, 2024.
- Create an account in the online nomination system. Your email address will serve as the username for the account.
- Select “Apply” at the top of the page.
- Select “2024 Heroes of Chemistry Nominations” to preview and begin your nomination.
- Enter and submit the required materials for this nomination form. Materials currently unavailable electronically can be converted to PDF using the Fax-to-File feature in the top navigation menu. You may edit your nomination until the February 1 submission deadline.
- Select the "Submit Application" button to complete your nomination. Saved drafts are not considered complete.
Each submission must include the following items:
- Descriptive Summary: Provide a detailed narrative addressing the product’s commercial use, its benefit to humanity, chemistry's central role, and the involvement of the nominee(s) in developing and commercializing the product(s). Please use clear, non-technical, concise language in this section; this information will be used to draft press releases, web content, and other materials, which will later be vetted with winning companies.
- Impact: Summarize the market success, societal impact, and economic impact of the nominated product(s) in a financial summary.
- Biography or Resume/CV: A short biography or resume/CV (max. two pages) should be submitted for each nominee.
- Supporting Materials: Any brochures, articles, or press releases, etc. that describe the impact of the nominee(s) and/or the product being recognized are highly encouraged.
- Nominee Contact Form: Include all relevant contact information for each team member being nominated on this contact form.
Note: Please carefully and properly fill out the contact information of each team member. This information may be used to contact winners and for sending important information such as invitations, awards, and promotional materials. At least one member of the team must be an ACS member. Please indicate which team member(s) have active ACS membership(s).
A panel of judges from the Committee on Corporation Associates will select the Heroes of Chemistry on the basis of:
- The technical merit of the innovation, including the talent and foresight demonstrated by the nominee(s);
- The financial performance of the product(s), market share, lives affected and/or other measure of commercial impact; and
- The impact and benefit to humankind made by the product(s).
The selected winners, along with executives from each winning company, will be invited to attend a black-tie dinner ceremony.
Corporation Associates member companies may prepare nomination packages, but their employees may not serve on the Award Selection Committee in years when their companies are nominated. The Award Selection Committee deliberations are confidential. The number of Heroes of Chemistry Awards vary annualy as determined by the Awards Selection Committee.