Sustainability & the Environment
Science Information for Policymakers
- Sustainability in the Chemical Industry, National Research Council, National Academy Press, 2005.
- The Value of Nature and the Nature of Value, G.C. Daily, et al., Science 289, 395-396. 2000.
- Our Common Journey: A transition toward Sustainability, National Research Council, National Academy Press, 1999.
- Institute for Sustainability, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Overcoming Nontechnical Barriers to Implementation of Sustainable Solutions in Industry, Environmental Science & Technology, M. B. Satterfield, et al., June 2009.
Global Climate Change
- Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report
Summarizes observed changes in climate and their effects, causes of observed changes, projections of future change and related impacts, adaptation and mitigation options and key remaining uncertainties. The report is based on the assessment of the three working groups of the IPCC.
- Global Change Impacts in the United States, June 16, 2009.
Summarizes the science and the impacts of climate change in the U.S. now and in the future. Includes impacts on different regions, society and the economy. The report is based primarily on 21 reports from work by 13 federal agencies.
- Synthesis and Assessment Products
SAPs integrate research results that are focused on important science issues and aimed to support informed discussion and decision making regarding climate variability and change by policy makers, resource managers, stakeholders, the media, and the general public.
National Research Council
- Restructuring Federal Climate Research to Meet the Challenges of Climate Change, Committee on Strategic Advice on the U.S. Climate Change Science Program; National Research Council, National Academies Press, 2009.
Proposes six priorities for restructuring the United States' climate change research program to develop a more robust knowledge base and support informed responses.
Congressional Research Service
- Climate Change: Science Highlights, Congressional Research Service RL 34266, Jane A. Leggett, February 23, 2009.
- The Carbon Cycle: Implications for Climate Change and Congress, Congressional Research Service RL34059, Peter Folger
Resources for the Future
- Designing Climate Mitigation Policy, Joseph E. Aldy, Alan J. Krupnick, Richard G. Newell, Ian W.H. Parry, William A. Pizer, Resources for the Future, May 2009.
Pew Center on Global Change
- Adapting to Climate Change: A Business Approach, A report prepared for the Pew Center on Global Climate Change by Frances G. Sussman and J. Randall Freed of ICF International, April 2008.
ACS Science & the Congress Briefings
- Regional Climate Models: A Critical Adaptation Tool for Communities & Industry, September 18, 2009.
- Greenland’s Shrinking Ice Sheet: Images, Measurements & Implications, September 9, 2008, video available.
- Climate Change: Bringing together Science, Policy & Business, June 4, 2008.
- Carbon Lock-In: Barriers To Deploying Climate Change Mitigation Technologies by Marilyn Brown, et al. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Revised November 2008.
- Uncertainty in Analyzing Climate Change: Policy Implications, Congressional Budget Office, 2005.
Summarizes sources of scientific and economic uncertainty that limit the understanding of climate change and complicate assessments of policies. Discusses implications of uncertainties for policy responses related to research and development, mitigation of emissions and adaptation to a warmer climate.
Carbon Capture & Sequestration
- Carbon Capture and Sequestrian (CCS), Congressional Research Service RL33801, Peter Folger, June 19, 2009.
- Robust Control in Global Warming Management: An Analytical Dynamic Integrated Assessment, Magnus Hennlock, Resources for the Future, May 2009.
- Environmental Research and Education Needs: An Agenda for a New Administration, David E. Blockstein and Cassandra Brunette
- America's Energy Future: Technology And Transformation, Committee on America's Energy Future; National Academy of Sciences; National Academy of Engineering; National Research Council, 2009.
- Understanding the U.S. Energy Profile, ACS Science & the Congress Briefing, (March 27, 2009) video available.
- What You Need to Know About Energy, Board on Energy and Environmental Systems (BEES), National Research Council, with Curt Suplee, 2008.
- National Petroleum Council
- Annual Energy Review, Energy Information Administration
- Annual Energy Outlook 2009 Early Release, Energy Information Administration
- Use of US croplands for Biofuels Increases Greenhouse Gasses Through Emissions from Land-Use Change. Searchinger, et al., Science, 2008.
- Effects of Fuel Ethanol Use on Fuel-Cycle Energy and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Wang, M., Department of Energy: Argonne National Lab 1999.
- Biofuels Incentives: A Summary of Federal Programs, Congressional Research Service RL33572, Brent D. Yacobucci
- Alternative Fuels and Advanced Technology Vehicles: Issues in Congress, Congressional Research Service RL33564, Brent D. Yacobucci
- Plants at the Pump: Biofuels, Climate Change, and Sustainability, Britt Childs Staley, Rob Bradley, Resources for the Future, December 2007
- Chemicals in Our Bodies: Use of Biomonitoring Data for Policy Making ACS Science & the Congress Briefing, March 20, 2009.
- Making Sense of Biomonitoring C&EN, 86(04), pp. 52-56, January 28, 2008.
- Human Biomonitoring for Environmental Chemicals, Committee on Human Biomonitoring for Environmental Toxicants, National Research Council, 2006.
- The Opportunities and Limitations of Biomonitoring Mackinac Center Policy Brief, D. Juberg, J. Bus, D. Katz, February 2008.