FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | April 22, 2019
Chemists Celebrate Earth Week: Building a more sustainable future through paper
WASHINGTON, April 22, 2019 — To highlight the impact paper has had on the world, the American Chemical Society (ACS) is promoting Chemists Celebrate Earth Week (CCEW) from April 21-27 with the theme “Take Note: The Chemistry of Paper.” CCEW is a global campaign that encourages ACS members and science enthusiasts to build awareness of chemistry and the environment in their communities.
Paper is one of Earth’s most common, and most sustainable, materials. Even in today’s digital age, paper remains ubiquitous. Made of natural wood fibers, this material is strong, flexible and sustainable. Through green chemistry processes, paper has become the planet’s most recyclable material.
CCEW is an annual program that unites ACS local sections, student chapters, technical divisions, businesses, schools and individuals in communicating the positive role that chemistry plays in the world.
The program’s activities are organized through ACS local sections and are geared toward elementary and middle school students. Join the celebration anytime at www.acs.org/ccew and on social media:
- Hold a CCEW Illustrated Poem Contest for K-12 students with your ACS local section
- Explore the Celebrating Chemistry edition on the chemistry of paper
- Plan a CCEW community event
- Participate in a CCEW outreach event
- Discover CCEW educational resources, lesson plan and videos
- Distribute CCEW mood pencils, temporary tattoos, stickers, tote bags and Enviro-Moles available in the ACS Store
- Post on social media using #CCEW and #CelebratingChemistry
- RSVP to the CCEW event on Facebook
- Update your social media cover and header photos with the CCEW 2019 branding kit
Those interested in participating can visit www.acs.org/ccew to see a full listing of CCEW activities, events and resources.