Senior Chemists Committee
The establishment of the Senior Chemists Committee (SCC) was approved as a Joint Board-Council Committee effective January 1, 2013 (see roster). The age demographic of the ACS powerfully illustrated the need for a Senior Chemists Committee. Of its more than 163,000 members, 34% are over the age of 50 and is one of the fastest growing segments of the Society.
The mission of the SCC:
- To share with ACS members of all ages a rich variety of personal experiences and expertise gained over many years of professional service.
- To foster interest and participation in the science of chemistry through community outreach, especially in grades K-12.
- To act as science advisers/ambassadors for the purpose of cultural exchange at home and abroad.
- To provide senior ACS members with challenging, diverse, and enjoyable professional experiences that enable them to contribute to the cultural experiences of their communities.
- To recommend policies that address issues of interest to senior chemists.
The SCC consists of 15 members, four associates, and one consultant and are appointed as the ACS President and Chair of the Board of Directors deem necessary. The Committee serves two constituencies within the ACS: (1) seniors who are still active either as full time or part time employees, consultants, or those who still wish to stay closely connected to the ACS and its spectrum of activities; and (2) younger members and students who have questions about a chemistry based career or who have started careers but are looking for guidance in how to progress. Examples are mentoring, career guidance and counseling, job training seminars and webinars, alternate career selection, problem support, workshops, and tutorials.
The Senior Chemists Committee held its first meeting in New Orleans in conjunction with the 245th ACS National Meeting and will continue to meet on Monday at each ACS National Meeting.