Heading into a forensics lab opens up a world of chemistry. Learn about the science behind crime investigations and try some of the techniques for yourself with these links.
- "Solving Mysteries Through Chemistry"—Resources for National Chemistry Week, the Classroom, and Beyond
Watch the archived webinar to download the slides and the collection of forensics resources that include ready-to-use demonstrations, labs, videos and more!
- The Poisoner's Handbook
You enjoyed the Deborah Blum's bestselling book, now bring it into your classroom with this interactive experience.
- Mixed Reception
A mysterious death… Was it murder? Interview suspects, investigate the crime scene, and analyze evidence using this video-based activity.
- Use Super Glue To Reveal Latent Fingerprints
Dig out your tube of Super Glue from the back of the cupboard and try this popular method of visualizing fingerprints.
- Illustrated Guide to Home Forensic Science Experiments
The cover of this 450-page book says it all—All Lab, No Lecture. Get ready for labs on soil, hair, fingerprinting, and more.
- Forensic Science Lesson List
Head into the lab and start investigating the evidence. Can you solve a crime like “The Great Cafeteria Caper”?
- The Truth Meter
Telling the truth? Then don’t sweat it! Especially if you’re answering questions while hooked up to this make-your-own “truth meter.”
- The Forensic Teacher Magazine
Teach forensic science? There’s a magazine for that! This free issue is a forensic “labapolooza” to teach about bones, autopsies, blood, and more.
- At Your Fingertips
Are you mainly a loop, whorl, or an arch? What about your classmates? Learn about the information found in fingerprint patterns.
- Food Dye Forensics Experiment
Help! Someone’s poisoned one of the sports drinks! Sounds like it’s time to get out the spectrophotometer.
- Forensics Illustrated—Step Under the Tape
Resources galore! It’s a complete curriculum for high school forensic science.
- Forensics in the Classroom
Six mysteries are waiting. Jump into the scientific testing that will help you determine “whodunit.”
- Eye Wonder: Powder Lab
Who stole the cake? Follow the trail of the white powders to find out.
- The Chemicals of Life and Rigor Mortis
What causes this stiffness in a dead body and what can it tell us at a crime scene?
It’s a one-stop info extravaganza—an entire community college forensic chemistry course, linked into a single page.
- How Forensic Lab Techniques Work
It’s information on a smorgasbord of forensic techniques, along with a bit of history.
- Forensic Students Are Getting Their Hands Dirty
Hands-on mini research projects are the name of the game for these university students. Hear about what they did.
- Forensic Science and the Innocence Project
Science plays a role in freeing those who have been wrongfully imprisoned. Find out how.
- College to Career—Forensic Chemistry
Got what it takes to solve crimes, using chemistry? See what it takes to land you a spot on CSI.
- The Chemistry of Forensics
So what do forensic chemists actually do? Take a peek into their workday.
- New Forensic Method Detects Dangerous Designer Drug
The cause of multiple drug overdoses was a mystery—until chemistry stepped in.