Health and Cleaning
Chemistry can help keep us clean, safe, and healthy. Try experiments and read articles related to bleach, masks, hand sanitizer, hand washing, and sicknesses such as coronavirus.
- The Chemistry of Hand Sanitizer and Soap (AACT)
Seasoning for your supper can help you understand how soaps and sanitizers work.
- Chemistry Keeps Us Clean (ACS pdf)
These activities can get you squeaky clean as you learn about the science of soap.
- Demonstrating the Effectiveness of Mask-wearing with Liquid Nitrogen (ChemEdX)
Aerosols. Droplets. Can a mask help contain them?
- Lycopodium Powder "Dragon Sneeze" Blocked with a Face Mask (ChemEdX)
What happens when a face mask is put in front of the classic lycopodium powder puff into a flame? Can it get through?
- Chemical Illustrations of Flattening the Curve (ChemEdX)
Diet Coke and Mentors are here again—this time to give us a visual demo of what it means to flatten the pandemic curve.
- Comparing Household Chemicals (ChemEdX)
Store shelves can be a confusing array of cleaners and their chemicals. What should you buy and why?
- The Power of Bleach (Steve Spangler)
Now you see it, now you don’t. How will bleach affect what it touches?
- Estimating the Concentration of Bleach (RSC)
Test it. Calculate it. Compare it.
- DIY Hand Sanitizer (MEL Science)
Put these ingredients together to make your own, as you find out the reason for each.
- Oil and Water: Washing Up with Surfactants (TeachEngineering)
Is water enough? Put your handwashing technique to the test.
- Can Copper Save Us from the Coronavirus? (ChemMatters)
Masks with copper. A good choice? Join the discussion!
- A Chemist's Guide to Disinfectants (C&E News)
Decode what you’ll find on labels, along with best ways to use them.
- What Is Hand Sanitizer, and Does It Keep Your Hands Germ Free? (C&E News)
The title says it all. Find answers here.
- Applying Chemistry Principles to COVID-19 (ChemEdX)
What do you know about chemistry? What do you know about COVID? Combine the two.
- Cleaning Your Smartphone Screen
You want it clean. You want it to keep working. How can you achieve both?
- Types of Disinfectants: How To Make the Best Choice for Your Facility
Check out the main kinds you’ll find, plus questions to ask when making your choice.
- When Choosing Cleaners, It Helps To Know Your Chemistry
You need the right ingredient for the right job. Chemistry guides your choice.
- Cleaning Tips from a Chemist Who Researches Disinfectants
Get this chemist’s top tips to keep your cleaning safe and effective.
- Hand Sanitizer and Disinfectant Chemical Exposure
We want these products to help keep us safe with their cleaning power. Improper use can have serious health consequences.
- How Do Disinfectants Tackle Covid-19? (Chemistry World)
This Q & A on disinfectants keeps you in the know on how to best use them.
- Show Me the Science—When & How To Use Hand Sanitizer in Community Settings (CDC)
Sanitizer? Or soap? What’s the better choice in which situation?
- What Actually Happens When You Use a Hand Sanitizer? (ThermoFisher)
How can they help keep us healthy when soap and water are not available?
- When and How To Wash Your Hands (CDC)
Take just 20 seconds for your health!
- Getting Back to Chemistry Basics: How Simple Soap Saves Lives
It doesn’t just get rid of grime—it’s germs too.
- Hand Washing: How Does Soap Work and Is Hand Sanitizer Better?
Younger students can read this KidsNews article themselves to learn more about staying safe with soap.
- How Bleach Works (How Stuff Works)
How does this common product do its work?
- Face Masks: What the Data Say (Nature)
Fabric, layers, fit. Take a look at the evidence.
- Still Confused About Masks?
What’s the science behind masks? What questions should you ask when buying one?
- Fighting the Flu (Chemistry World)
What tools do we have to protect ourselves?
- These Compound Interest infographics give you the scoop on how chemistry helps keep us safe.
(all sites accessed October 2020)