ACS Kids Zone
ACS Presidential Outreach Event at the Spring 2020 National Meeting & Expo in Philadelphia, PA
The next ACS Kids Zone event will take place on Saturday, March 21 in Philadelphia, PA. If you’re interested in getting involved, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACS Presidential Outreach Event at the Fall 2019 National Meeting & Expo in San Diego, CA
More than 300 people attended the ACS Kids Zone on Saturday, August 24 at the Fleet Science Center during the Fall 2019 National Meeting & Expo. Attendees conducted eight hands-on activities focused on the ACS National Meeting & Expo theme of “Chemistry & Water,” practiced being Science Storytellers with Chemical & Engineering News, celebrated the International Year of the Periodic Table, and received giveaway bags with periodic table posters and other educational merchandise. The Facebook event reached a total of 49,600 people and got over 2,000 responses. View pictures from the event on Facebook.
ACS Presidential Outreach Event at the Spring 2019 National Meeting & Expo in Orlando, FL
Over 340 people attended the ACS Kids Zone on Saturday, March 30 at the Orlando Science Center (OSC) during the Spring 2019 National Meeting & Expo. Attendees conducted nine different hands-on activities, which were facilitated by ACS members and students. Over 200 people were offered free tickets to the museum through a special partnership between ACS and OSC. Nearly all event attendees reported that they learned something new or interesting at the event, and that they would attend another event like this in the future. View pictures from the event on Facebook.
2018 National Chemistry Week (NCW) Kids Zone in Washington, D.C.
Over 320 attendees engaged in eight hands-on activities at Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum on Tuesday, October 23 to celebrate National Chemistry Week and its 2018 space theme “Chemistry is Out of This World.” The museum and ACS hosted a full day of hands-on activities, speakers, and stage demonstrations, including building batteries with zinc and copper washers and launching rockets with citric acid and baking soda.
ACS Presidential Outreach Event at the Fall 2018 National Meeting & Expo in Boston, MA
Over 700 people attended the ACS Kids Zone on Saturday, August 18 at the Boston Children’s Museum during the 256th National Meeting & Exposition. Attendees conducted 13 different hands-on activities, which were facilitated by ACS members and partners, and included scientists and educators from Beyond Benign, Dow Chemical Company, MIT Museum, Museum of Science, and Science Storytellers with C&EN. View pictures from the event on Facebook.
2018 March for Science in Washington, D.C.
On Saturday, April 14, ACS joined the March for Science and other organizations on the National Mall in Washington D.C. for global teach-ins and science festivities.
During the event, nearly 400 people visited the ACS Kids Zone. Children participated in hands-on activities geared towards the 2018 Chemists Celebrate Earth Week theme, "Dive into Marine Chemistry". Activities included Lose the Blues with CO2, Magic Nuudles, and UV-Detecting Beads. View pictures from the event on Facebook.
5th USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo in Washington, D.C.
The USA Science & Engineering Festival Expo took place on April 7-8, 2018 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C. The event was the nation’s largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) featuring more than 3,000 hands-on exhibits, 30 stage shows, and more! View pictures from the event on Facebook.
ACS Presidential Outreach Event Honoring 15 Years of Chemists Celebrate Earth Week (CCEW) at the Spring 2018 National Meeting & Expo in New Orleans, LA
This year, the ACS partnered with the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission to host a Kids Zone community event on Saturday, March 17 at the Lyons Recreation Center. The free event provided families with the chance to conduct hands-on activities, receive goodie bags that included the ACS’s children’s publication, Celebrating Chemistry, learn more about ACS’s community partners and celebrate 15 years of Chemists Celebrate Earth Week with the theme “Dive into Marine Chemistry." View pictures from the event on Facebook.
Download Some ACS Kids Zone Experiments
- Fizzy Fun!: There are a lot of ways to tell one mineral from another.What happens when you put acid on different minerals? What does the acid test tell you?
- Iron for Breakfast: Is your cereal magnetic? Let’s see! Using strong magnets, we will pull iron, an essential nutrient, from breakfast cereals. Kids and parents alike are amazed at the amounts of this element that can be found in delicious food!
- Lincoln Drops: Predict how many drops of water can be placed on the head of a penny before any of the water spills off.
- Magic Nuudles: Using biodegradable building blocks made from cornstarch, create fun shapes out of Magic Nuudles and learn about polymers.
- Magic Sand: When we play at the beach, we build sandcastles and make sculptures from sand. In this activity, children will observe how another type of sand behaves when mixed with water.
- Producing Oxygen Gas: In this chemistry activity, children can witness and feel a chemical reaction in their hands. It is the creation of oxygen gas from simple household materials.
- Seashells: Antacids of the Ocean: Have you ever wondered what coral or seashells are made of? In this chemistry activity, see how calcium carbonate is affected by carbon dioxide.
- Starch Search: Discover which foods contain starch and which do not. We will test for the molecule in foods with the same detector pens used to distinguish counterfeit dollar bills, which contain starch, from real money.
- UV Detecting Beads and UV Blockers: Using UV detecting beads and UV blockers, come explore which products help protect our skin, eyes and medicine from being damaged by UV light.