Younger Chemists Committee Leadership Development Award
Award at a Glance
To provide support for young chemists to attend the Young Chemist Leadership Development Workshop at the ACS Leadership Development Institute.
Each year the ACS Younger Chemists Committee (YCC) organizes a Leadership Development Workshop geared toward younger chemists and held in conjunction with the ACS Annual Leaders' Conference as part of the ACS Leadership Development System. The Leadership Development Workshop is designed to help young chemists develop into highly skilled leaders in the Society and in their chosen profession.
The award covers the registration fee, transportation, lodging, and meals associated with attending the Young Chemist Leadership Development Workshop at the ACS Leadership Development Institute. Participants will explore the behaviors and characteristics exhibited by effective leaders at any level. Potential leadership opportunities, both within and outside the workplace, will be discussed and personal plans for improving leadership skills will be developed.
Participants will also work alongside other ACS local, regional, and national leaders who are looking to strengthen their own leadership, management, and communication skills. This is an excellent opportunity to network and build the qualities that successful leaders possess!
The award is intended for young scientists that meet these minimum requirements:
- Under the age of thirty-five (35) years of age at the time of application
- Current graduate student, post-doc, OR within the first seven (7) years of a professional career
- Current ACS member
- Have not received a prior award under this program
Both domestic and international applicants are encouraged to apply.
The YCC Governance Interface and Outreach Subcommittee oversees the application review and selects awardees. If you have questions about the award process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for the YCC Leadership Development Award will be accepted between August 1 and November 1 each year. All application material must be received by the application close date for consideration.
How to Apply
In the online application process, the applicant will be required to provide/upload the following:
- Information describing you experiences in leadership or volunteer roles within the ACS or other organizations including work with student chapters, local sections, regional meetings, national meetings, etc.
- A short biography for publication on the YCC website (100 words or less).
- Your current curriculum vita or resume including your permanent address (PDF or DOC).
Apply using our online application.
For a hard copy of the application, email email@example.com.
American Chemical Society
Department of Diversity Programs
c/o YCC – Leadership Development Award
1155 16th Street NW
Washington, DC 20036