ACS Human Rights Case Response Procedures
- ACS members, local sections, divisions, committees, or ACS staff offices may generate a request for action when evidence of abridgement of the scientific mobility and human rights of chemists, chemical engineers and other scientists in closely related fields is reported.
- A request for action will be transmitted to the chair of the Committee on Public Affairs and Public Relations (PA&PR).
- If warranted by the evidence and consistent with ACS human rights case selection criteria, PA&PR will recommend that the Society issue a statement on the matter or take such related action as may be appropriate, with signature prerogative from the ACS President, President Elect, Past President, Chair of the Board, and/or Chair of PA&PR. PA&PR will carry out this action under delegated authority from the Board.
- This policy supersedes procedures for issuing such statements put in place by previous Boards, most notably on September 7, 1997.
- In addition, The Office of the ACS Executive Director or authorized designee will regularly monitor agencies and organizations engaged in human rights activities for evidence of abridgement of the scientific mobility and human rights of chemists, chemical engineers and other scientists in closely related fields, and make a request for action as outlined above.