3 months before the science café
- Appoint coordinators for science café.
- Develop an operational plan.
- Select and reserve site—coffee shop, café, bar, science museum, other venue—for a one time event, or ongoing science café.
- Contact partner organizations to explore collaboration opportunities.
- Conduct the proper measures to make sure that liability insurance is available for the venue.
- Set up a communications system that all committee members can access.
- Select a topic for your science café.
2 months before the science café
- Create a budget for the science café.
- Solicit contributions, both financial and in-kind support, from companies, foundations, and other local organizations.
- Involve your Public Relations Coordinator to establish contacts with local media
- Select and invite speakers for Science Café.
- Contact local radio stations and determine their interest in science café promos.
- Create promotional materials for the event (flyers, emails, postings, etc)
- Mail a news release to your media contacts.
1 month before the science café
- Contact participants to confirm dates, times, and duties.
- Visit site of science café.
- Mail additional news releases and call TV, radio, and newspaper contacts.
- Finalize details for science café.
- Post science café in calendar listings.
The month of the science café
- Send emails announcing the science café.
- Post flyers promoting the science café.
- Conduct science café.
- Send thank-you notes and letters of recognition.
- Document science cafés and report back to email@example.com
The month after the science café
- Nominate your science café for a ChemLuminary Award in ACS Community Connection as part of your annual report.
- Post lessons learned on the ACS Network for other coordinators to use in their planning.