Where to Look for Federal Positions
Jobs for Students and Grads
The federal government has a number of programs to help students and entry-level job seekers find positions with the federal government. Positions include internships, the Recent Graduates program, and the Presidential Management Fellows program. Helpful links:
- Go Government: Students and Entry-Level Job Seekers
- USAJOBS: Pathways for Students & Recent Graduates to Federal Careers
Another good way to get started in the federal government is with a post-doctoral position or internship at a federal facility. Some of these are run directly by the federal government, but many are operated by third parties on behalf of the federal government.
Web Sources for Finding and Researching a Federal Job
- Go Government - How to find and apply for federal jobs, how to create a federal resume, tips.
- USA JOBS - Official website listing all government job openings, includes list of jobs by college major, places to store a federal resume.
- OPM - Office of Personnel Management, Federal hiring FAQs, statistics on federal employment.
- USA - Search and apply for federal, state and local governmental jobs, special info for people with disabilities, students, veterans and senior executives, information on security clearances.
- Best Places to Work - Uses responses from current civil servants to report on employee satisfaction and commitment at 362 federal agencies and subcomponents.