Committee on Professional Training
The Committee on Professional Training (CPT) promotes excellence in postsecondary chemistry education and provides leadership to the ACS in the professional training of chemists.
Announcing the Chemistry Program Approval & Review System (CPARS)
- UPDATE: Instructions for accessing CPARS are now available.
- To access CPARS, users will need an ACS ID and password. Each user will need a unique log in. Create an ACS ID. Please note that you do not have to be an ACS member to get an ACS ID.
- Annual reports for 2019 will be available on October 15 and due on December 15. Please use this guidebook to assist you in completing your report.
- CPT Open Meeting in Philadelphia
We invite you to attend the CPT open meeting at the 259th ACS National Meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 22, 2020. The location is not currently available, please check back later for details.
News & Announcements
- Certificates Available for ACS-Certified Graduates
The head or chair of ACS-approved chemistry programs presents ACS certificates to students that receive a baccalaureate degree and complete a curriculum consistent with the ACS Guidelines. If you would like to have certificates available for presentation to your certified graduates, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Free 3-Year Membership for Certified Chemistry Graduates To take advantage of this offer, students should contact their department chairperson. Department chairs can get more information on this offer by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Survey on Graduate Education
67% of Ph.D. granting instititutions responded to the CPT Graduate Education Survey. Results from this survey will be reported during the ACS National Meeting in Philadelphia, This survey focused on the ways in which graduate education has evolved and, in particular, how it aligns with the competencies as described in the National Academies report on Graduate STEM Education for the 21st Century.
- New Supplements
- New Safety Resources from the ACS Committee on Chemical Safety
ACS Approval Program
Reports and Surveys
Available on Monday, November 11, 2019
Guidelines Revisions Feedback
Focus Group Feedback
During the fall ACS meeting, CPT hosted two focus groups. The first discussed the Lab Hour requirement in the Guidelines. The second, co-hosted by the ACS Committee on Minority Affairs, discussed the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) climate at undergraduate institutions.
- Discussion on DEI climate
- Lab Hour Discussion