ACS Heroes of Chemistry
The 2021 nominations open on November 1, 2020 and close on February 1, 2021.
What is the Heroes of Chemistry Award?
Who are our heroes today? The media recognizes athletes and entertainers, as well as policemen and firefighters, as heroes. Chemistry has its heroes too; they are scientists and engineers who have made the world better through their effort, ingenuity, creativity and perseverance. The life-saving treatments and conveniences of the modern world would not be possible without the materials, drugs, and other products of chemistry.
Heroes of Chemistry is an annual award sponsored by the American Chemical Society that recognizes talented industrial chemical scientists whose work has led to the development of successful commercialized products ingrained with chemistry for the benefit of humankind.
Each submission must include a completed nomination form accompanied by the following items:
- Descriptive Summary: Provide a detailed narrative addressing the product’s commercial use, its benefit to humanity, chemistry's central role, and the involvement of the nominee(s) in developing and commercializing the product(s). Please use clear, non-technical, concise language in this section; this information will be used to draft press releases, web content, and other materials, which will later be vetted with winning companies.
- Impact: Summarize the market success, societal impact, and economic impact of the nominated product(s) in a financial summary.
- Biography or Résumé/CV: A short biography or résumé/CV (max. two pages) should be submitted for each nominee.
- Supporting Materials: Any brochures, articles, or press releases, etc. that describe the impact of the nominee(s) and/or the product being recognized are highly encouraged.
- Nominee Contact Form: Include all relevant contact information for each team member being nominated on this form.
- Note: Please carefully and properly fill out the contact information of each team member. This information may be used to contact winners and for sending important information such as invitations, awards, and promotional materials.
Any private or publicly owned for-profit company may nominate an individual chemist, biochemist, chemical engineer, or a team or scientists who played a vital role in the research and development of a commercial product that has had a dramatic impact on the welfare and progress of humanity.
Nominating companies may choose to include individuals from other companies, government or academic labs, incubators, or other organizations as members of the teams they nominate. Former employees are also eligible to be included in the nomination.
Selection ProcessA panel of judges will select the Heroes of Chemistry on the basis of:
- The technical merit of the innovation, including the talent and foresight demonstrated by the nominee(s)
- The financial performance of the product(s), market share, lives affected and/or other measure of commercial impact
- The impact and benefit to humankind made by the product(s)
All 2020 nominees will be notified by June 2020. The selected winners, along with executives from each winning company, will be invited to attend a black tie dinner ceremony that will take place during the fall ACS National Meeting in San Francisco on August 16, 2020.
Corporation Associates member companies may prepare nomination packages, but their employees may not serve on the Award Selection Committee in years when their companies are nominated. The deliberations of the Award Selection Committee are confidential. The Award Selection Committee determines the number of Heroes of Chemistry Awards to be presented in a given year.
Inspiring Hero Stories
For more information on the Heroes of Chemistry Awards application process