ACS Member SciFinder® Benefit
Through the ACS Member SciFinder Benefit, ACS members who are in good standing are eligible for 25 complimentary SciFinder activities for personal use.
ACS Member SciFinder Benefit Agreement
This ACS Member SciFinder Benefit Agreement (“Agreement”) is made between American Chemical Society (“ACS”) operating through its CAS division) and yourself (“Member”). This Agreement sets forth the terms under which access to CAS’s SciFinder solution is provided to Member.
I. License. ACS grants Member a personal, non-perpetual, non-exclusive, revocable, limited license to use twenty-five (25) complimentary search activities or two hundred (200) displays in CAS’s SciFinder, whichever occurs first.
II. SciFinder Access.
a. Acceptable Use. When accessing SciFinder with the username given to Member as part of the ACS Member SciFinder Benefit, Member agrees to use SciFinder and its content only for his or her own personal, private use. Examples of Acceptable use include:
- An individual scientist to keep up with personal research interests
- An individual student or educator, in pursuit of personal scholarly interests, when institutional access to SciFinder is not otherwise available
- A job seeker to investigate research activities of a prospective employer
- Subject to Section II.b. below, an individual registered with ACS Membership as a sole proprietor or individual consultant to perform work in support of his or her general business needs.
b. Unacceptable Use. Uses that do not qualify as personal, private use and which are NOT permitted under this Agreement include, but are not limited to:
- Use on behalf of or by a commercial, academic, or other institution in lieu of a properly licensed institutional subscription
- Performing searches on behalf of third parties or systematically sharing search results or content, so as to circumvent properly licensed access by an institution or individual. Examples include: providing searching services as a paid contractor or consultant, pass-along sharing of content as part of providing professional services, dissemination of content in marketing or sales promotions, or direct sharing or other enablement of pass-along use for the benefit of unauthorized individuals or institutions
c. Information obtained or extracted from SciFinder may not be used in lieu of a properly licensed institutional subscription or to create derivative works without the express written permission of the ACS.
d. Member’s SciFinder username and/or password may not be shared with any other person.
III. Violations. If CAS determines that Member’s use of SciFinder violates this Agreement, CAS may de-activate Member’s SciFinder username and revoke Member’s rights to any unused search activities or downloading of content.
IV. General Provisions.
a. Ownership. The copyright and title to all copyrightable property interests in or to SciFinder including scientific information accessed through SciFinder are in and will remain with the ACS as owner. Member may not make any modifications, adaptations, enhancements, decompilations, changes or derivative works of SciFinder .
b. Warranty. ACS warrants (i) SciFinder is free from significant defects in material and workmanship under normal use, and (ii) and any update thereto will perform substantially in accordance with the corresponding published specifications. ACS DOES NOT MAKE ANY ADDITIONAL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
c. Enforceability. Should any part of this Agreement be unenforceable, all other provisions will not be affected. In the event that an issue arises regarding this Agreement, the laws of the District of Columbia, USA, shall apply.
d. Governing Law. Member’s use of SciFinder content and these terms and conditions are governed by and will be construed in accordance with the laws of the District of Columbia, USA.
For questions, contact ACS Member Services at email@example.com or 1-800-333-9511 (toll-free in the USA) or +1 614-447-3776 (from outside of the USA).
To learn more about these SciFinder subscription options, please visit https://www.cas.org/products/scifinder.