FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE | August 03, 2021
Kids Zone invites families to enjoy hands-on science activities at the Georgia Aquarium
WASHINGTON, Aug. 3, 2021 — The American Chemical Society (ACS) is hosting a fun, educational Kids Zone event on Saturday, Aug. 21, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.
Everyone is invited to learn how chemists are catalysts for positive scientific and social change through the event theme, “Chemists Catalyze Change.” During a scheduled one-hour shift, attendees will:
- Watch a short interactive play called “Choose that Catalyst.” The audience will help the host choose the perfect catalyst to make a chemical reaction go, go, go.
- Visit hands-on activity stations to participate in engaging science experiments. Learn all about chemical reactions with color-changing ultraviolet (UV) beads, loud Pop Rocks® and bright glow sticks!
- Interview scientists at the meet-a-chemist station and ask questions and more questions! Why and how did the chemists get where they are? What did they experience along the way?
- Discover the importance of advocacy and learn about ACS’ advocacy efforts and about U.S. civics by playing trivia and voting for the best hands-on activity.
- Walk away from the event with a giftbag, which includes ACS’ publication for kids, Celebrating Chemistry, as well as other fun and educational goodies.
This Kids Zone day of exploration is a presidential outreach event for ACS Fall 2021, a meeting of chemists being held Aug. 22-26 in Atlanta. The event is co-hosted by the ACS Committee on Community Activities and ACS President H.N. Cheng, Ph.D.
To promote the safety of everyone at ACS Fall 2021 and related events, including the ACS Kids Zone, ACS has developed an attendee safety plan that will follow the guidance and requirements of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state of Georgia, the Georgia Department of Public Health and the Georgia World Congress Center, as well as other local regulations regarding COVID-19 safety practices. Effective July 27, 2021, the CDC is now advising those vaccinated (either fully or partially) to wear face masks while indoors in public. As a result, ACS is now requiring all attendees (vaccinated and unvaccinated) at ACS Fall 2021 to wear a face mask while in the Georgia World Congress Center or while attending an ACS hosted/sponsored event or meeting. ACS may adjust its practices to account for changes in government health-related COVID-19 directives. Attendees should become familiar with the attendee safety plan, as well as the Georgia Aquarium safety measures prior to attending the ACS Kids Zone event and will need to sign the ACS Kids Zone attendee acknowledgment upon completing the required registration.
To automatically receive press releases from the American Chemical Society, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: ACS does not conduct research, but publishes and publicizes peer-reviewed scientific studies.