ACS Chemistry Enterprise Partnerships & U.N. Sustainable Development Goals
The American Chemical Society (ACS) is focusing collaborative partnerships with sister chemical societies around the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through Chemistry Enterprise Partnerships (CEPs). CEPs outline how the ACS will collaborate with a partner organization/sister chemical society.
The U.N. SDGs and ACS CEPs
Chemistry will play a critical part addressing many of the global challenges we face today. Each of the American Chemical Society’s Chemistry Enterprise Partnerships (CEPs) center around one or more U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In utilizing the SDGs as a partnership framework, ACS and our partners are prepared to focus collaborative activities, and create a larger impact on chemistry while also advancing the 2030 Agenda for a more sustainable world.
For more information on ACS’s role in contributing to the U.N. SDGs, please visit the ACS Green Chemistry Institute.
While the chemical sciences can be used to address all of the SDGs, below are a few highlighted Goals that ACS has identified that the Society and its partner organizations might have the greatest impact at addressing through collaborative activities:
- Goal 2: Zero Hunger - End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Goal 3: Good Health & Well-Being - Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Goal 4: Quality Education - Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Goal 5: Gender Equality - Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Goal 6: Clean Water and Sanitation - Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Goal 7: Affordable and Clean Energy - Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Goal 12: Responsible Consumption and Production - Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 13: Climate Action - Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Goal 17: Partnerships for the Goals - Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
Learn more about our current Chemistry Enterprise Partnerships with our sister chemical societies and partners below:
- American Oil Chemists Society (AOCS)
- Chinese American Chemical Society (CACS)
- Delaware Chemical Ventures Conferences (DCVC)
- Earth Day Network (EDN)
- European Chemical Society (EuChemS)
- German Chemical Society (GDCh)
- Indo-US Science and Technology Forum (IUSSTF)
- Israel Chemical Society (ICS)
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)
Joint Framework Agreement on the U.N. SDGs
During the 47th IUPAC World Congress in July 2019, 16 leaders of international chemical societies came together to sign the Joint Framework Agreement on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These chemical societies agreed to advance the SDGs through collaboration in the field of chemistry.
Additional signatories joined these chemical societies in signing the Joint Framework Agreement during the Federation of African Chemical Societies Meeting and the Asian Chemical Congress later in 2019. You can find a full list of signatories below.
- American Chemical Society
- Bangladesh Chemical Society
- Canadian Society for Chemistry
- Chemical Research Society of India
- Chemical Society of Ethiopia
- Chemical Society of Japan
- Chemical Society of Nigeria
- Chemical Society of Zambia
- Chinese Chemical Society
- European Chemical Society (EuChemS)
- Federation of African Societies of Chemistry
- Federation of Asian Chemical Societies
- French Chemical Society
- German Chemical Society
- Ghana Chemical Society
- Italian Chemical Society
- Indian Chemical Society
- Indonesian Chemical Society
- Institute of Chemistry Sri Lanka
- Israel Chemical Society
- Kenya Chemical Society
- Korean Chemical Society
- Kuwait Chemical Society
- Malaysian Institute of Chemistry
- Moroccan Society of Analytical Chemistry
- New Zealand Institute of Chemistry
- Philippine Federation of Chemistry Societies
- Portuguese Chemical Society
- Royal Australian Chemical Institute
- Royal Netherlands Chemical Society
- Royal Society for Chemistry
- Saudi Chemical Society
- Senegalese Committee for Chemistry
- Singapore National Institute of Chemistry
- South African Chemical Institute
- Spanish Royal Society of Chemistry
- Tanzania Chemical Society
- Timor Leste Chemical Society
- Tunisian Chemical Society
- Turkish Chemical Society