Ciba Travel Awards in Green Chemistry
Award at a Glance
The Ciba Green Chemistry Travel Awards sponsor the participation of undergraduate and graduate students studying at institutions in the U.S. to attend the Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference and present their work in a talk or poster.
These awards are funded by interest income from the Ciba Green Chemistry Student Endowment which was established in 2009. Award funds are designated specifically to reimburse travel expenses and winning students will be recognized at the annual Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference hosted by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® (ACS GCI). The award amount is provided as a reimbursement for qualifying travel expenses, up to $2,000 maximum per awardee. Four awards are granted most years and are split evenly between undergraduate and graduate students.
Undergraduate and graduate students studying at institutions within the U.S. are eligible to apply for this award. Applicants must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry and/or engineering. Green chemistry can be defined as “the discovery and design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use and generation of hazardous substances.”
All winners of the Ciba Green Chemistry Travel Award are responsible for meeting the abstract deadline date for the annual Green Chemistry & Engineering Conference where the awards symposium and ceremony will be held. Winners should be prepared to give an oral or poster presentation relevant to their area of research or educational interest. In addition, all winners are required to submit a brief report that summarizes their conference experience prior to reimbursement of travel expenses.
The deadline for the 2024 Ciba Travel Awards in Green Chemistry is 11:59 p.m. EST (GMT-5) on November 17, 2023.
How to Apply
The application portal will open on September 22, 2023. Applicants should submit their materials (listed below) through the ACS Green Chemistry Institute application portal. To use the portal, you will need to have or create a free ACS ID.
Please Note: Applicants may not apply for multiple Green Chemistry awards during a given year; only one application per person is allowed. Please be certain that you meet the requirements for the Ciba Travel Award before applying and do not submit applications for other awards (Breen, Chang, McClelland, Hancock) administered by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute.
Be prepared to submit the following:
- Name and contact information,
- Name of applicant’s faculty advisor (or supervisor) and contact information,
- Academic information including institution, department or field of study, degree expected, projected date of degree completion, green chemistry teaching or research interests, and career plans,
- Estimated budget for travel expenses, up to $2,000. Reimbursable expenses include the conference registration fee, accommodations, and travel to participate in the meeting. Food and entertainment expenses are not reimbursable. ACS will provide instructions to receive the reimbursement (up to the award amount) after the conference.
- Word or PDF document containing a brief (no more than one-page) essay by the applicant concerning their interest in green chemistry, including any previous experience within the field, how they will benefit from participation at the GC&E conference, and why they should be selected to receive the award.
- A curriculum vitae or résumé no more than two pages in length (Word or PDF file). Make sure to include:
- Field of study, degrees (including month and year earned or expected), education experience, including GPA or another measure of class standing, and work experience (if any).
- List of recent presentations and publications (if any).
- Letter of nomination from the applicant's faculty advisor, supervisor, or department chair (Word or PDF file no more than two pages in length). The applicant will send their advisor a link to directly upload the letter into the portal.
- Brief statement of financial need for travel support from the applicant’s advisor, supervisor, or department chair (Word or PDF file not exceeding one page). The applicant will send their advisor a link to directly upload the statement into the portal.
An independent panel of experts selected by the ACS GCI will judge the applications. This panel may include members of the scientific, educational, industrial, government, and environmental communities.
The ACS Green Chemistry Institute will notify applicants of award acceptance on or before January 26, 2024. The ACS will transfer the award via direct deposit after the conference takes place. To receive the reimbursement, a 1-page written report, travel expense receipts, W-9 and direct deposit information will be required.