Ciba Travel Awards in Green Chemistry
Award at a Glance
This annual green chemistry award sponsors the participation of students (high school, undergraduates, and graduate students) residing in the U.S. to attend an American Chemical Society (ACS) technical meeting, conference, or training program, having a significant green chemistry or sustainability component. The applicant must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry.
The awards are funded by interest income from the Ciba Green Chemistry Student Endowment which was established in 2009 and is awarded by the ACS Green Chemistry Institute® (ACS GCI). The award amount is based on estimated travel expenses, up to $2,000.
High school, undergraduate, and graduate students residing within the U.S. are eligible for this grant. The applicant must demonstrate research or educational interest in green chemistry. Green chemistry for this purpose is defined as “the discovery and design of chemical products and processes that reduce or eliminate the use and generation of hazardous substances.”
Applicants are responsible for meeting the abstract deadline dates of the meeting they want to attend. The student should be prepared to give an oral or poster presentation on their interest area during the conference, if feasible, and submit a report to ACS GCI on their experience after the conference.
The deadline for the 2023 Ciba Travel Awards in Green Chemistry is 5 p.m. EDT (GMT-4) on October 9, 2022.
How to Apply
Please apply using the ACS Green Chemistry Institute application portal. To use the portal you will need to have or create a free ACS ID.
Be prepared to submit the following information:
- Applicant’s name and contact information
- Name of applicant’s faculty advisor (or supervisor) and contact information
- Academic information including institution, department or field of study, expected degree, green chemistry teaching or research interests, and career plans
- Name, date, and location of the conference or meeting the applicant is requesting funding to attend
- Estimated budget for travel expenses, up to $2,000. Reimbursable expenses include the conference registration fee, accommodations and travel to participate in the meeting. Food and enterainment expenses are not reimbursable. ACS will provide instructions to receive the reimbursement (up to the award amount) after the conference.
- Word or PDF upload containing a brief (no more than one-page) essay by the applicant concerning their interest in green chemistry, including any previous experience with the field, how they will benefit from participation in the selected conference, and why they should be selected to receive the award. Include your intention to present during the conference (giving an oral or poster presentation is expected).
- A curriculum vitae or résumé no more than two pages in length (Word or PDF file). Make sure to include:
- Field of study, degrees (including month and year earned or expected), education experience, including GPA or another measure of class standing, and work experience (if any)
- List of recent presentations and publications (if any)
- Letter of nomination from the applicant's faculty advisor, supervisor, or department chair (Word or PDF file no more than two pages in length). The applicant may either upload the file or send their advisor a link to directly upload it into the portal.
A panel of experts selected by the ACS GCI will judge the applications. This panel might include members of the scientific, educational, industrial, governmental, and environmental communities.
The ACS Green Chemistry Institute will notify applicants of award acceptance on or before December 16, 2022. The ACS will transfer the award via direct deposit after the conference takes place. To receive the reimbursement, a 1-page written report, travel expense receipts, W-9 and direct deposit information will be required.
Beginning in 2010, on an annual basis, the ACS GCI awards up to four Ciba Travel Awards in Green Chemistry. The awards are funded by interest income from the Ciba Green Chemistry Student Endowment which was established in 2009.
Telephone: (202) 872-6102