ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship
Scholarship at a Glance
To provide financial support for chemistry professionals to obtain a masters degree in education or teacher certification in chemistry.
The ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship is awarded to professionals in the chemistry field pursuing new careers as high school chemistry teachers.
Scholarship recipients receive:
- Scholarship stipends (up to $6,000 for full-time study or up to $3,000 for part-time study) towards the completion of a Masters degree in education or secondary chemistry/science certification.*
- Support and mentoring throughout their three year teaching commitment.
The scholarship can be applied to tuition, books, room and board, and other education-related expenses and are renewable up to three years. Scholarships cannot be applied to expenses retroactively.
Application Opens: February 1, 2023
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023
Applicant Decision Date: July 14, 2023
To be eligible, you must:
- Have a Bachelors degree or higher in chemistry or chemistry-related discipline
- Have at least one year work experience in a chemistry-related profession**
- Cannot have more than one year experience as a high school chemistry teacher***
- Be accepted into an education masters program or teacher certification program
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Eligible Chemistry-Related Disciplines
- Agricultural Chemistry
- Ceramic Science/ Chemistry/Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Technology
- Environmental Science/Engineering (must be chemistry-based)
- Forensic Science/Chemistry
- Food Science (not Nutrition)
- Industrial Chemistry
- Materials Science or Petroleum Engineering
- Nanotechnology or Nanoscience
- Paper and Pulp Technology
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted by May 1, 2023 to be considered for 2023-2024. Applications will be accepted beginning Febraury 1, 2023.
Information for Current Scholars
View the acceptance and renewal requirements.
About ACS-Hach Programs
The ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship is one of the ACS-Hach Programs. Learn about other programs and how they support high school chemistry teachers at every step of their careers.
* Due to scholarship guidelines, scholarship stipends are distributed in equal installments two times per academic year. This may result in scholars receiving half of their total scholarship if they complete their program by the Fall semester.
** If you are a recent graduate, graduate student, or postdoctoral scholar with less than one year of work experience, please consider applying for our ACS-Hach Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Scholarship.
*** The purpose of the scholarship is to support career changers who will be new to the chemistry education profession. If you are a current high school chemistry teacher and would like support, please consider applying for one of our ACS-Hach Grants.
- 800-227-5558 ext. 8178