Committee on Senior Chemists
What We Do
The Senior Chemists Committee (SCC) encourages engagement and collaboration across the Society with ACS groups and within the community. SCC’s objectives are to improve communication among senior chemists, increase the number of senior chemists’ groups and the level of their engagement within local sections, and encourage the involvement of senior chemists in programs focused on K-12 education, undergraduate networking, and mentoring.
Improve lives using the knowledge and experience of senior chemists.
Address community needs and ambitions by utilizing senior chemists’ knowledge and experience.
- To develop avenues to expand communications and promotions to enhance awareness of senior chemist activities.
- To Increase the number of senior chemist groups in local sections.
- To engage with community groups that benefit from senior chemists’ expertise.
Who We Are
The establishment of the Senior Chemists Committee (SCC) was approved as a Joint Board-Council Committee effective January 1, 2013. The age demographic of the ACS powerfully illustrated the need for a Senior Chemists Committee. Of its more than 150,000 members, more than 35% are over the age of 50; one of the fastest growing segments of the Society.
The SCC currently consists of 19 members, and 10 associate members, who are appointed as the ACS President and Chair of the Board of Directors deem necessary. The Committee serves two constituencies within the ACS: (1) seniors who are still active either as full time or part time employees, consultants, or those who still wish to stay closely connected to the ACS and its spectrum of activities; and (2) younger members and students who have questions about a chemistry-based career, or who have started careers and are looking for guidance on how to progress.
- Find our newsletters, local section happenings, national meeting events and other resources on the ACS Network: Senior Chemists on the Move.
- Start a Senior Chemists Committee (PDF)
- Local Section Senior Chemists Committee Presentation (PDF)
Send an email if you have questions or need more information about the Senior Chemists Committee.