ACS International Student Chapters
ACS student chapters are organizations for college/university students studying the chemical sciences. Members participate in a wide range of programs and activities that enhance their college experience and prepare them for successful careers.
How to Start an ACS International Student Chapter
Establish a program that will benefit your peers and support students who want to pursue a career in chemistry.
To start an ACS international student chapter at your institution:
- Identify at least 6 student members of the ACS at your school and have their member numbers available. If students plan to join ACS to form a student chapter, you can apply for a one-time starter grant from ACS to help pay for your first 6 student members.
- Choose a faculty member to serve as your advisor. Advisors must be an active member of the ACS. Learn more about the role of a faculty advisor on our resource page.
- Compose a set of proposed bylaws to help manage your chapter. If you need help, download our recommended bylaws.
- Complete and submit the ACS Student Chapter Charter form by clicking the button below.
Once your application is approved, ACS will grant your chapter a charter and a welcome packet will be e-mailed to your faculty advisor who will present the charter to your new ACS International Student Chapter!
Maintaining an Active Chapter
There are many benefits of maintaining an active chapter status with ACS. Staying active means that your chapter can:
- qualify for chapter awards
- present posters at ACS national meetings
- gain opportunities to plan meeting activities and symposia
- qualify for exclusive ACS contests.
In order to remain active, a chapter must submit a chapter report at least once every three years and maintain a minimum of 6 student members. The report offers chapters the opportunity to inform ACS about your activities, voice concerns from the academic year, and provide suggestions for future activities.
- 2020 International Student Chapter Programming Grant
ACS international student chapters are now able to apply for funds to support community building during the remainder of 2020. Please visit the link above to learn more.
- National Meeting Travel Grant for International Student Chapters
(Due to public health guidance around large group gatherings during the pandemic, this grant is closed to submissions until further notice.)
Active ACS international student chapters are eligible to receive a grant that may be used to cover fees, lodging, and/or transportation costs associated with ACS National Meetings.
- International Student Chapter Activities Grant
ACS international student chapters are eligible to receive up to $750 to fund projects and events related to: professional development, research, community engagement and service, and SMART goal achievement.
Conducting chapter activites virtually amid the COVID pandemic is the best way to build connections safely. But what exactly can you do? Find out.