ACS International Student Chapters
ACS student chapters are organizations for college/university students studying the chemical sciences. Members participate in a wide range of programs and activities that enhance their college experience and prepare them for successful careers.
How to Start an ACS International Student Chapter
Establish a program that will benefit your peers and support students who want to pursue a career in chemistry.
To start an ACS international student chapter at your institution:
- Identify a faculty member to serve as the chapter faculty advisor. Learn more about faculty advisor roles.
- Identify at least 6 students who will become Student Members of the ACS at your institution, and provide these names and e-mails in the charter. ACS will issue a one-time starter grant to your chapter for your first 6 Student Members!
- Complete a charter application form.
- Compose a set of proposed bylaws. Bylaws set the basis for your chapter’s mission. See an example of chapter bylaws.
- E-mail your application and bylaws to: email@example.com
Once your application is approved, ACS will grant your chapter a charter and a welcome packet will be e-mailed to your faculty advisor who will present the charter to your new ACS International Student Chapter!
Maintaining an Active Chapter
There are many benefits of maintaining an active chapter status with ACS. Staying active means that your chapter can:
- qualify for chapter awards
- present posters at ACS national meetings
- gain opportunities to plan meeting activities and symposia
- qualify for exclusive ACS contests.
In order to remain active, a chapter must submit a chapter report at least once every three years and maintain a minimum of 6 student members. The report offers chapters the opportunity to inform ACS about your activities, voice concerns from the academic year, and provide suggestions for future activities.
- National Meeting Travel Grant for International Student Chapters
Active ACS international student chapters are eligible to receive a grant that may be used to cover fees, lodging, and/or transportation costs associated with ACS National Meetings.
- International Student Chapter Activities Grant
ACS international student chapters are eligible to receive up to $750 to fund projects and events related to: professional development, research, community engagement and service, and SMART goal achievement.