ACS International Student Chapters
ACS student chapters are organizations for college/university students studying the chemical sciences. Members participate in a wide range of programs and activities that enhance their college experience and prepare them for successful careers.
How to Start an ACS International Student Chapter
Establish a program that will benefit your peers and support students who want to pursue a career in chemistry.
To start an ACS international student chapter at your institution:
- Identify at least 6 student members of the ACS at your school and have their member numbers available. If students plan to join ACS to form a student chapter, you can apply for a one-time starter grant from ACS to help pay for your first 6 student members.
- Choose a faculty member to serve as your advisor. Advisors must be an active member of the ACS. Learn more about the role of a faculty advisor on our resource page.
- Compose a set of proposed bylaws to help manage your chapter. If you need help, download our recommended bylaws.
- Complete and submit the ACS Student Chapter Charter form by clicking the button below.
Once your application is approved, ACS will grant your chapter a charter and a welcome packet will be e-mailed to your faculty advisor who will present the charter to your new ACS International Student Chapter!
Maintaining an Active Chapter
There are many benefits of maintaining an active chapter status with ACS. Staying active means that your chapter can:
- qualify for chapter awards
- present posters at ACS national meetings
- gain opportunities to plan meeting activities and symposia
- qualify for exclusive ACS contests.
In order to remain active, a chapter must submit a chapter report at least once every three years and maintain a minimum of 6 student members. The report offers chapters the opportunity to inform ACS about your activities, voice concerns from the academic year, and provide suggestions for future activities.
- National Meeting Travel Grant for International Student Chapters
Active ACS international student chapters are eligible to receive a grant that may be used to cover fees, lodging, and/or transportation costs associated with ACS National Meetings.
- International Student Chapter Activities Grant - This grant opportunity is now closed, and will reopen in 2019
ACS international student chapters are eligible to receive up to $750 to fund projects and events related to: professional development, research, community engagement and service, and SMART goal achievement.
Student Leadership Award
Apply for the Student Leadership Award to cover your travel, accommodation, and registrations expenses for the 2019 Leadership Institute being held January 25-27, 2019, in Atlanta, GA.
Criteria to apply:
- Have completed one or more years towards an undergraduate degree in the chemical sciences, but NOT graduating in 2019
- Be a paid ACS student member
- Currently hold or have held an office in an active ACS student chapter
Deadline to apply is Friday, November 2, 2018.