What molecule am I?
Carbon nitride1 (C3N4) was the Molecule of the Week for January 16 of this year. It exists in two major allotropes, β-C3N4, with a diamond-like structure and g-C3N4, whose properties resemble graphite. It turned out that g-C3N4 is the more valuable material, as a semiconductor and photocatalyst.
In recent years, various forms of oxidized graphitic carbon nitride (O-g-C3N4) have been found to have exceptional properties as well. An example of the structure of O-g-C3N4 is shown in the image; in this case, the substance contains hydrogen atoms along with carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen.
Examples of applications of O-g-C3N4 follow:
- Teresa J. Bandosz and co-workers at the City College of New York used a copper–benzene tricarboxylic acid metal–organic framework and O-g-C3N4 nanospheres to prepare a composite with a hierarchical pore structure. The composite was photocatalytically active and could adsorb and detoxify an organophosphate nerve agent surrogate (2016).
- Lorenzo Malavasi, Paolo Quadrelli, and colleagues at the University of Pavia (Italy) found that O-g-C3N4 is a good photocatalyst for generating singlet oxygen (1O2). They gave examples of using generated 1O2 in hetero-Diels–Alder reactions and ene reactions (2019).
- Juan I. Paredes, Alireza Z. Moshfegh, and coauthors at Sharif University of Technology (Tehran) and the Instituto Nacional del Carbón (Oviedo, Spain) used O-g-C3N4 nanosheets for water remediation. The nanosheets were effective adsorbents for removing organic dyes and the antibiotic tetracycline (2019).
- Venkata Krishnan and co-workers at the Indian Institute of Technology in Mandi and Ropar developed O-g-C3N4 as a sustainable metal-free catalyst for hydrogen transfer reactions under mild conditions (2020).
No hazard information for O-g-C3N4 has been reported, but it is expected that its safety profile would be similar to that of the unoxidized form.
1. CAS Reg. No. 143334-20-7.
Learn more about this molecule from CAS, the most authoritative and comprehensive source for chemical information.