We messed up! A while ago we made a Facebook post about how the mirror-image forms of limonene create the smell of oranges and lemons -- but it turns out we fell for a really persistent myth. So we wanted to clear it up! Here's the lemony-fresh truth about the scent of citrus.
- Oranges, lemons and limonene: Addressing surprisingly persistent and enduring myths
- Scent through the Looking Glass
- Odor Incongruity and Chirality
- Sensory Properties of Optical Isomers
- Chemical and Sensory Characterization of Orange (Citrus sinensis) Pulp, a by‐Product of Orange Juice Processing Using Gas‐Chromatography‐Olfactometry
Ever wonder why dogs sniff each others' butts? Or how Adderall works? Or whether it's OK to pee in the pool? We've got you covered: Reactions a web series about the chemistry that surrounds you every day.
Produced by the American Chemical Society.