What’s the difference between fluorescence and bioluminescence? We illuminate the biochemical distinctions. Special thanks to everyone who shared their amazing glowing animal footage with us. Be sure to check out Jelly Club’s YouTube page for more stunning jelly videos:
To learn more about Marc Zimmer’s research at Connecticut College and to find more great info and images involving GFP, visit his website: http://www.conncoll.edu/ccacad/zimmer/MZ-8/
To see more luminescent creatures photographed by NOAA, visit their Ocean Explorer webpage: http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/09bioluminescence/welcome.html
And don’t forget to watch the Wellcome Trust’s video to learn all about those wild blue nematode worms:
Even more brilliant references:
- First naturally-fluorescing frog found in Argentina | C&EN
- Glowing mushroom’s mechanism unmasked | C&EN
- Novel roles for GFP | C&EN
- Spider Seduction Requires UV Light | C&EN
- Naturally occurring fluorescence in frogs | Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA
- Mechanism and color modulation of fungal bioluminescence | Sci. Adv.
Speaking of Chemistry is a production of Chemical & Engineering News (C&EN), the weekly news magazine of the American Chemical Society.