Committee on Constitution and Bylaws (C&B)
What We Do
Meeting the Society's Purposes and needs through the ACS Governing Documents and other documents under the purview of C&B.
Improving and monitoring the ACS Governing Documents, model bylaws, and unit bylaws for clarity and consistency.
Goal 1: Discuss petitions to update the ACS Governing Documents, meet with petitioners, and recommend changes for clarity and consistency.
Goal 2: Assist petitioners as requested, or as needed, to amend the ACS Governing Documents.
Goal 3: Assist with bylaw updates as requested by any ACS unit and certify amended bylaws.
Goal 4: Update model bylaws for ACS units.
Goal 5: Review and recommend to the respective committees major amendments to unit charter bylaws for Council's approval.
Goal 6: Ensure that all C&B recommendations are clearly worded, up-to-date, and not in conflict with the ACS Governing Documents.
Goal 7: Act for the Council in determining that the requirements are met for affiliation of a Local Section with a local technical organization or Division with other technical organizations. The respective committees (i.e., LSAC and DAC) shall approve such affiliations, in collaboration with C&B.
Who We Are
- C&B has at least 12 members, several associates, one or two consultants, a staff liaison, and liaisons from other committees (e.g. CPC and ConC).
- There are four subcommittees. Work of the committee is done either through the subcommittees or the full committee as needed.
- Knowledge of (or a desire to learn about) ACS governance;
- An interest in reviewing proposed changes to ACS Governing Documents, unit bylaws, and other related documents;
- Available to attend C&B's meetings, usually scheduled on Sunday prior to each Council meeting;
- Available to work on assignments via email between national meetings; and
- Nice to have but not required: good communication, editorial skills, and attention to detail.
- Meetings are held twice a year at the ACS national meeting on Sundays and typically start from 1 p.m.-3:30 p.m. Meeting times are subject to change, as needed, to adjust to C&B's agenda. C&B meets virtually as needed, sometimes once a year in addition to the national meetings.
- 1-2 hours per month depending on petitions, guidelines, minutes, or other documents that need C&B's review.
- C&B works year-round, mostly via email; conference calls or virtual meetings are held as needed.
Committee members are appointed by the President of the Society for three-year terms. Although no special training is required for membership on the Committee, members are expected to become knowledgeable about the ACS Governing Documents: www.acs.org/govdocs.
We welcome everyone who are interested in joining this committee. Contact either the Committee on Committees (ConC) or C&B's Staff Liaison at email@example.com if you are interested and eligible for Committee membership.