Committee on Constitution and Bylaws (C&B)
What We Do
Meeting the Society's Purposes and needs through the ACS Governing Documents and other documents under the purview of C&B.
Improving and monitoring the ACS Governing Documents, model bylaws, and unit bylaws for clarity and consistency.
Goal 1: Discuss petitions to update the ACS Governing Documents, meet with petitioners, and recommend changes for clarity and consistency.
Goal 2: Assist petitioners as requested, or as needed, to amend the ACS Governing Documents.
Goal 3: Assist with bylaw updates as requested by any ACS unit and certify amended bylaws.
Goal 4: Update model bylaws for ACS units.
Goal 5: Review and recommend to the respective committees major amendments to unit charter bylaws for Council's approval.
Goal 6: Ensure that all C&B recommendations are clearly worded, up-to-date, and not in conflict with the ACS Governing Documents.
Goal 7: Act for the Council in determining that the requirements are met for affiliation of a Local Section with a local technical organization or Division with other technical organizations. The respective committees (i.e., LSAC and DAC) shall approve such affiliations, in collaboration with C&B.
Who We Are
- C&B has at least 12 members, several associates, one or two consultants, a staff liaison, and liaisons from other committees (e.g. CPC and ConC).
- There are four subcommittees. Work of the committee is done either through the subcommittees or the full committee as needed.
- Knowledge of (or a desire to learn about) ACS governance;
- An interest in reviewing proposed changes to ACS Governing Documents, unit bylaws, and other related documents;
- Available to attend C&B's meetings, usually scheduled on Sunday prior to each Council meeting;
- Available to work on assignments via email between national meetings; and
- Nice to have but not required: good communication, editorial skills, and attention to detail.
- Meetings are held twice a year at the ACS national meeting on Sundays and typically start from 1 p.m.-3:30 p.m. Meeting times are subject to change, as needed, to adjust to C&B's agenda. C&B meets virtually as needed, sometimes once a year in addition to the national meetings.
- 1-2 hours per month depending on petitions, guidelines, minutes, or other documents that need C&B's review.
- C&B works year-round, mostly via email; conference calls or virtual meetings are held as needed.
Committee members are appointed by the President of the Society for three-year terms. Although no special training is required for membership on the Committee, members are expected to become knowledgeable about the ACS Governing Documents: www.acs.org/govdocs.
We welcome everyone who are interested in joining this committee. Contact either the Committee on Committees (ConC) or C&B's Staff Liaison at email@example.com if you are interested and eligible for Committee membership.
If you have any questions or comments about petitions, options to update bylaws for Divisions, Local Sections, or International Chemical Sciences Chapters, the ACS Governing Documents, or C&B, please contact us at 202-872-4071, or 800-227-5558, ext. 4071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.