Call for Papers
- Develops the technical program with Symposium Organizers and enters it into the Call for Abstracts template workbook as oral and/or poster symposia.
- Designates symposia as accepting either contributed or invited papers.
- Submits the completed the Call for Abstracts workbook to ACS Staff for importing to MAPS prior to abstract submission opening.
Session Management (cooperatively with Symposium Organizers and ACS Staff)
- Assign abstracts to sessions
- Set presentation order for abstracts in sessions
- Assign presentation durations
- Add non-technical events to sessions (e.g., intermission, introductory remarks, etc.) with duruations
- Assign presiders for oral sessions
- Sci-Mix (optional): Schedule high-quality abstracts for division Sci-Mix session. ACS Staff will provide a list of abstracts that opted for sci-mix consideration. You may select up to 20 presentations, or 10% of total number of accepted papers for your division, whichever is larger.
Finalize Technical Program
- Arranges sessions by Day, Time and Room within the pre-assigned technical session room allotment provided by ACS Staff.
- Submits preliminary program to ACS.
- Submits final program to ACS.
- Arranges for non-technical events such as coffee breaks and social receptions associated with award presentations or poster sessions, and committee rooms.
- Any member of the division executive committee has the authority to make non-technical event requests.
- In most divisions, the program chair makes the arrangements associated with the technical program, and the division chair makes the committee room requests associated with governance functions.
- Symposium organizers must always ask the acting program chair to make event requests pertaining to the technical sessions.
- Registers sponsored speakers—if the division wishes to pay for the sponsored speaker registration fees. Early and regular registration fees apply to division registrations.
- At the time registration opens, MAPS staff administrators send current program chairs and division treasurers password access to the Division Guest Registration site.
- Using the password they can register non-member sponsored speakers at a special one-day registration rate or member/non-member sponsored speakers at the prevailing member/non-member registration rate.
- Symposium organizers must always ask the program chair to make these special registrations.