Publications & Resources
Information regarding regulatory requirements that must be followed when transporting hazardous material.
Recommendation for Sharing, Cleaning, and Disinfecting Safety Goggles and Glasses [PDF]
New & Improved Flame Test Demonstration
A safer alternative to the Rainbow Demonstration.
Safety in the Elementary Science Classroom
How to create a safe experimental environment for students.
2011, updated 2019
Safety Rubric - Assessing Chemical Demonstration Videos [PDF]
A template for educators to review the safety and pedagogy of chemical demonstration videos in order to determine whether they should be used in the classroom.
Guidelines for Chemical Laboratory Safety in Secondary Schools [PDF]
Foundational tools and guidelines for science teachers to encourage a strong safety culture in classrooms and labs. The R.A.M.P. concept is discussed. Hard copies available to purchase.
How to Make Chemistry Classroom Demonstrations and Experiments Safer
Developed by Chemical and Engineering News, 2015
A guide for performing experiments or demonstrations involving open flames, fire, or the use of flammable, reactive, toxic, or corrosive chemicals.
Safety Data Sheets: Information that Could Save Your Life
Published by ChemMatters, 2015
For students, topics include: the importance of safety in the chemistry classroom, identifying hazards and assessing their risks by using Safety Data Sheets, requirements for combustion, flash points, fire points and autoignition.
Safety Alert: The Rainbow Demonstration
A message from CCS regarding inherent dangers of the Rainbow Demonstration.
Safety Alert: Tornado Experiment
A message from CCS regarding inherent dangers of the Tornado Experiment.
Guidelines for Chemical Laboratory Safety in Academic Institutions [PDF]
Guidelines for instilling a strong safety foundation in students and deepening their knowledge of safety practices. Hard copies are available to purchase.
Creating Safety Cultures in Academic Institutions [PDF]
Guidance, suggestions, and recommendations to strengthen safety cultures in undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral programs.
Safety in Academic Chemistry Laboratories, Eighth Edition [PDF]
Best practices for first- and second-year university students
Nanotechnology Safety Resources
Guidelines for safe handling of low-solubility ultrafine particles in the lab.
Identifying and Evaluating Hazards in Research Laboratories [PDF]
Information and tools for mitigating hazards in research labs. Also visit the companion website.
Living with the Laboratory Standard
An interpretation of OSHA's Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories standard. It specifically addresses the responsibilities of Chemical Hygiene Officers (CHOs), who are responsible for implementation of the Chemical Hygiene Plan. $10/copy (bulk discounts available). To order:
- Call 1-800-227-5558, or
- Email OSS@acs.org
Guide for Chemical Spill Response Planning in Laboratories
Framework for laboratory employees to respond to plan for and respond to chemical spills.
Labpack Land Disposal Restriction comments to USEPA [PDF]
Response to EPA's request for comment on requirement for land disposal restriction notices and recordkeeping for all hazardous waste labpacks.
Position Statement: Regulation of Laboratory Waste
ACS recommendations concerning environmental regulations placed on academic, commercial, and government laboratories.
Letter to NIOSH: Contact Lenses [PDF]
Letter to National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health regarding safety of wearing contact lenses in labs.
Industry & Small Business
Chemical Safety Manual for Small Businesses, Third Edition [PDF]
Guidelines for managers, administrators, and employees of small businesses.
Safety Audit/Inspection Manual [PDF]
How to prepare for worplace safety audits and inspections.
Less Is Better [PDF]
Outlines practical waste minimization concepts.
Facility Design & Construction
- Developing Reproductive Protection Programs in Industrial and Academic Settings ACS Committee on Chemical Safety
- The Effects of Workplace Hazards on Female Reproductive Health
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Effects of Workplace Hazards on Male Reproductive Health
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Electric and Magnetic Fields Associated with the Use of Electric Power EMF
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- American Biological Safety Association
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers - Safety and Health Division
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- Chemical Storage Resources
- Code of Federal Regulations
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- National Registry of Certified Chemists (certified chemical hygiene officer information)
- National toxicology program
- NIOSH school chemistry laboratory safety guide
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Prudent Practices in the Laboratory: Handling and Disposal of Chemicals
- Rehab the Lab: Creating Safer School Labs
- Society for Chemical Hazard Communication
- The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- US Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board
- US Environmental Protection Agency
Safety Resources from ACS's Chemical & Engineering News
Blog: The Safety Zone
Covers chemical safety issues in academic and industrial research labs and in manufacturing.