Committee on Chemical Safety
What We Do
Welcome to the Committee on Chemical Safety (CCS). This section highlights the Committee's activities and provides administrative resources for its members.
Our primary activities include:
- Publication of standards, tools, and other materials for use in classrooms, laboratories, and the workplace
- Development of safety policy statements for the ACS Board of Directors
- Providing advice and assistance to other ACS committees and members
- Presentation and sponsorship of symposia
CCS provides collaborative leadership and resources to advance chemical safety.
A scientific community that embraces safety in all activities of the chemistry enterprise.
- Goal 1: Foster collaborative partnerships to advance safe chemistry.
- Goal 2: Create and compile chemical safety resources that are current, well-managed and authoritative.
- Goal 3: Ensure effective dissemination of high quality chemical safety resources.
- Goal 4: Optimize CCS structure and operations to achieve strategic goals and ongoing responsibilities.
Who We Are
CCS Subcommittees & Advisory Panel
- Subcommittees: Learn about focus areas and work of the Education, Emerging Issues, and Partnership Subcommittees.
- Advisory Panel: Focus area: Special projects associated with laboratory safety.
The Committee on Chemical Safety was created in 1963. The first meeting was held at the 145th ACS National Meeting, Americana Hotel, New York, NY.
Projects & Announcements
- Updated Guidance for Working Safely with Nanomaterials
- CCS recommends revisions to the policy statement, Safety in The Chemistry Enterprise, which has been updated for 2019-2022.
- Watch Working in the Lab Alone? to learn safety requirements, scenarios and precautions. (YouTube video, August 2019)
- Learn why Laboratory Chemical Risk Assessments are an important habit to develop. (YouTube video, July 2018)
- Use this new Safety Rubric (PDF) to identify suitable chemical demonstration videos for secondary students.
- Browse upcoming Meetings & Events
More About ACS Committees:
Email Marta Gmurczyk, Staff Liaison, with questions or for more information about the Committee on Chemical Safety.